file Daisy chaining

9 years 7 months ago #21955 by dnb123
Daisy chaining was created by dnb123
Just wandering, but whenever I have two cabs plugged in the one receiving the current from the daisy chain is significantly quieter, any ideas as to why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago #21956 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Daisy chaining
that question makes no sense.......

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #21957 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic Daisy chaining
There are a number of reasons that can cause that. Reversed phase to one of the cabinets, bad speaker wire , if you are using a passive crossover there can be a failure there or if one of the drivers is weak it can also cause that!

PS, out of those I am not sure which I have seen most frequent, so I always check the simplest and cheapest to repair first. Somehow I think a at or near failing driver is really the most likely!

9 years 7 months ago #21961 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Re: Daisy chaining
@mini-mad basically the cab that is plugged into the amp is fine, but the one that is plugged into that cab is a lot quieter, I've shortened cables and checked connectors to see if it was a resistance thing but nope

9 years 7 months ago #21962 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic Re:Re: Daisy chaining

dnb123 wrote: @mini-mad basically the cab that is plugged into the amp is fine, but the one that is plugged into that cab is a lot quieter, I've shortened cables and checked connectors to see if it was a resistance thing but nope

Have you tried switching the order the cabinets in the daisy chain to see if the cabinet that is quieter has a failure somewhere internally? BTW, that second reply is from me,bjm362 not MiniMad. MiniMad is the guy that doesn't realize your post makes perfect sense as these things do occur. Sometimes it does help to get some insight from someone who has ran into that problem before!

9 years 6 months ago #21975 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Daisy chaining
Thanks mate, and Nope I havnt as one cab has one speakon and the other has two, could it be a soldering issue? The wires are touching but maybe not the best connection with the connector. Dunno I'll look into it more when I have time

9 years 6 months ago #21983 by crossed
Replied by crossed on topic Re:Daisy chaining
I have the same issue on a set of full range cabs. As BJM suggested, I have to put the cabs in a certain order because there is something wrong internally of one cabs. Someday I may take it apart and fix it, but for now its easier to just chain them the other way around ;)

I reckon its a solder issue in my case.

9 years 6 months ago #21984 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic Re:Daisy chaining

dnb123 wrote: Thanks mate, and Nope I havnt as one cab has one speakon and the other has two, could it be a soldering issue? The wires are touching but maybe not the best connection with the connector. Dunno I'll look into it more when I have time

I see your point as to why this isn't as easy to trace as it should be then! If you have a multimeter you can do some impedance testing to isolate where the loss is!

crossed wrote: I have the same issue on a set of full range cabs. As BJM suggested, I have to put the cabs in a certain order because there is something wrong internally of one cabs. Someday I may take it apart and fix it, but for now its easier to just chain them the other way around ;)

I reckon its a solder issue in my case.

Another simple work around you guys is to buy or make (not that hard to make) a Y adapter to your cables. Being careful to Y them the same length. If all cable issues are equal and you still have the same problem you will be certain it pertains to the cabinet. If it resolves your issue it was a cable to begin with! I hope that helps!

9 years 6 months ago #21991 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Daisy chaining
Thanks guys, and I'll check out how to make y adapters, today is the day I fix this annoying thing, also I reckon it is a solder issue as it happens with all my cabs

9 years 6 months ago #21993 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Re: Daisy chaining

bjm362 wrote:

dnb123 wrote: @mini-mad basically the cab that is plugged into the amp is fine, but the one that is plugged into that cab is a lot quieter, I've shortened cables and checked connectors to see if it was a resistance thing but nope

Have you tried switching the order the cabinets in the daisy chain to see if the cabinet that is quieter has a failure somewhere internally? BTW, that second reply is from me,bjm362 not MiniMad. MiniMad is the guy that doesn't realize your post makes perfect sense as these things do occur. Sometimes it does help to get some insight from someone who has ran into that problem before!

Oooooooooooh... get her!!!!
If it was me i'd have opened all the speaker cabs and tested every last peice of equipment i own to find the fault but its hard to tell some one that without stating the bloody obvious.
These are cabs you have hand built and not bought? I ask as one could have an internal cross over in it supressing the signal a little. (As this happened to me with 2 cabs i bought and upon opening both, one had a low pass filter and the other one had it bypassed) :P