SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17667 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE
Hi Bee,

I’m not sure how long you have followed the SP forum but all I can say is that when I was in control (pre 2008) anyone could say whatever they liked. Dig up some old posts and see how out of control and on the edge it got. And no one ever got banned. I can personally say I have never banned anyone from the SP forum and welcomed all the banter that used to go on as it was from people with a passion.

I can also say that I never deleted any threads, even ones that made products or designs I had worked on look bad. To be honest I quite like that threads about products that go wrong are left up, as it forces the manufacturer to do something and make them better. There is too much banning going on these days and its not coming from me. I’m all for and always have been for free speech.

Just talked to the interim admin for the SP forum and they are saying they have banned no one. So the one who is responsible for banning 2 people please own up. Really need an explanation before people are banned as people might think its me. Or is that part of the plan…..

John, of course SP forum has been a better place because of industry professionals. But if people just come on to know that JBL drivers have inverted polarity compared to most others or that bridging and amp produces twice the distortion, then they are on the wrong forum. They are end users who are just using the place for a quick fix. That’s not why I started the forum. It was chat about the design of speakers and sound systems in general. I can’t remember many posts in the early days that were end user orientated. It was all about design. I even see posts now that say I’m in a supermarket right now, should I pick the blue 200 sheet or pink with roses 180 sheet toilet paper. In my day of being a mod you would have been shown up for being the twat you are and others would have thought twice about mincing around.

Rog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17669 by bee
Replied by bee on topic SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE
+1 Rog, i joined sp a fair few years back after meeting you for the first time, at the plasa show, i was there when you brought the roof down lol smiley32 , even though i did not no you, most of the guys in the demo room where all talking about sp, a quick google and i became a member, the good old days........ I left sp around the time you walked away, in discust over what was going on, and ive been an active member hear since then. I joined back on sp about a year or so ago but only for business reasons.......... (im guilty as charged) but every one loves a speaker builder smiley4 ....... im glad you feel you can come hear on fsp, because your knowledge and what you give is amazing... smiley32 there are many members i could thank for there great advice and help, which has enabled me to further my career in this industry....

I think one of the issues is some people come on the forums with agenders and have no want to help, this causes every one to start thinking every one has there own motives, when the real one is to sit back beer in hand and chat to like minded people..... But dont get me wrong if i need x driver or x cab or lms, i know where to go and who to trust this can only be a good thing..... selling will be done and does happen all the time on forums, but the biggest amount of selling is not done in the for sale sections but by pm's.... is this wrong..... after all we all need to pay the rent.......

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17671 by Rog Mogale

Robbo wrote: Why should the majority of good and interested members be constantly threatened with closure of the forum.

I’m not sure it was constant, but it had it moment’s agreed.

Let me tell you the way I think this world works. Most counties have nuclear weapons. They don’t have them to kill people but to keep the peace. It’s a threat and as long as we all are in fear then we tow the line. The fact that its only been used a couple of times in anger over the last 70 years means it works well as a threat. It’s also like when the teacher threatens you with having to stand outside the class. Very few receive this punishment but it’s a deterrent that’s makes most of us tow the line. It’s why I used a deterrent or threat as you called it John to keep the forum in check. I would have thought that most people could have seen this.

You also say most could see the forum was my baby. Do you really think I’m that sick that I would kill my own baby?

The real question here is why some people took it all so seriously. What did they have to lose. Many of the industry professionals that have been on the site over the years know almost everything about the subject of sound systems. They are not on a forum to learn, as they already know. So what do they give. Well most if not all of them know nothing about design, as they have always used pro built cabs from top manufacturers. Some have a vast knowledge of vintage speaker systems and equipment and luckily for most of us are willing to share this information to people who are restoring vintage equipment. But if they are not there to learn or to give detailed explanations on design and theory then why do they get so upset when there’s a threat of a forum being pulled. What have they got to lose?

If all you know is end user stuff, then all you will get asked is questions by end users. I applaud anyone on a DIY forum that still applies and teaches theory and knowledge of the basics of design.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17672 by Rog Mogale
Are you going to be at Notting hill carnival this year Bee. Would love to come and say hello and see what your up too. The rums are on me.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17674 by bee
Replied by bee on topic SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE
defo will be there, ive got a choice of about 6 floats..... ill confirm by end of march which one...... be great to have a glass or 3 lol

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17681 by tweeter box
Replied by tweeter box on topic SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE
hi Rog, long time no speak, hope your doin well :wave:

i was banned from SP because of a comment i made about Bruce on THIS forum, very professional of him IMO, i really hope his sense of humour has since grown.

out of interest how much does Bruce get paid from ebay evertime a weblink is clicked?

Time is longer than road.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17686 by Rog Mogale
I really have no idea how much you get from clicking on an ebay link. I wouldn't have though it could be much though.

I've met Bruce a few times and he's always seemed very level headed. He is still hosting the site but has no administration rolls anymore. Once the hosting and admin have been given over to the new owner (when they are found) I can't see any reason for your ban to be continued. Bruce is still hosting so I can't go against any decision he made whlist he was admin, I have to respect this as I put him in the role.

Don't feel too bad though, my IP address has been banned and still is from over 3 years ago now.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17690 by jbinks
Replied by jbinks on topic SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE
Hi Rog

My account was banned almost immediately after I posted a reply on a topic questioning something that Bruce said about the cost of the forum (he was stating that it cost thousands per year when the costs he itemised related to an entire server, not one simple web forum that you can host for £50 a year). I also sent a PM to him directly at about the same time as I wanted to ensure he knew my motivations (I was and have always backed his changes to the site and was getting sick of people constantly moaning about the rules which were put in place for a very good reason).

I think I e-mailed myself a copy of the PM too if you are interested.

I have already spoken to Ian (jbl_man) regarding this and he, like you, said that once the forum has moved then this can be resolved.

I was more annoyed about the fact that I was in conversations with people and had already drafted replies to questions and comments on the forum that I could no longer post!

On the upside, I'm now a member here and the forum has lots of great features (like attachments!) that will definitely help!

Nice to see that freedom of speech is alive here too! (I had many posts deleted on SP simply because they politely and constructively queried points made by admin).

Cheers,
John

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17695 by Rog Mogale

jbinks wrote: I had many posts deleted on SP simply because they politely and constructively queried points made by admin

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about you grief on the SP forum.

It doesn’t sound like the Bruce I know. Can you give any examples of things that got your posts banned (you can do this via PM if you wish) as something smells fishy here.

I can only surmise that the admin were very pissed off with having to give so much attention to legal matters that any criticism on top drove them over the edge.

Rog.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #17698 by jbinks
Replied by jbinks on topic SALE SECTION ON SP IS A JOKE
It's hard to be specific and accurate as this was a while ago now and the posts themselves obviously don't exist any longer but this was the rough story:

Topic exists to discuss the new "For Sale" section rules.
Discussion occurs (many people being really stupid and just complaining for the sake of it without reading Bruce's comprehensive topic detailing why the changes were made).
Somehow the subject of the forum funding comes up.
Bruce replies to defend himself and says things like there is no funding from Void and he/his business pays it all. He quotes a silly number like £2-3k a year in costs.

I reply saying that it's not really fair to quote that kind of number. The figure given clearly relates to the cost of running a dedicated server for a business. Not for hosting a forum. As many people know a forum is pretty "basic" in terms of a web application and can be hosted on the cheapest of shared hosting packages (£50/year in the UK, less in the USA).

I also replied questioning the revised rules for the "For Sale" section with respect to eBay. The original "new" rules stating that we needed to "host" the sale outside of SP made a lot of sense. It absolved SP of any responsibility regarding the sale. It was easy to abide by using sites like Gumtree which are free and easy to use. I fully supported that change. The latest "eBay only" rules made no sense. No-one wants to use eBay. It doesn't protect SP any more than using Gumtree. I explained this and asked why it couldn't have been left as it was. People were already moaning, changing things again will only create more moaning (although now a lot of the moaning was actually justifiable!).

I noticed almost immediately that both comments were deleted. I replied "and now my comments are being deleted...". I ignored that topic from that point on and sent over a PM.

Anyway, I don't really want to bring this up in public as it doesn't bother me too much. The issue will be resolved at some point in the near future.

If you want to discuss this more then maybe we should continue via. PM.

Cheers,
John

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds