the uni halls rig: featuring pd186 cardboard beast

• ginger_biscuit69
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1323 by ginger_biscuit69
the uni halls rig: featuring pd186 cardboard beast was created by ginger_biscuit69
hey, thought id break in this group with a quality little rig.....

here we have the computer (6.4ghz, 4gb ram, 1024mb graphics, 22" widescreen etc...), pair of JAMO midhi packs run off an EV p1250 amplifer xover at 100hz, one of markies 8" subs in an 11litre box, powered off one side of an EV P2000 (4ohm) 50-100hz, soundcard is an M-audio audiophile card playing 96bit WAV files. Xover is a dbx 3way hidden behind the screen.

p2000 internals ... shows how much of a beast it really is!!

and the main component ... the pd186 cardboard bandpass thing. consisting of a lovely skytech plycard box, strengthed with bits of cables to stop the sides resonating, 'tuned' port, and driver held on by gravity. audible from 25hz-50hz, and sounds pretty good, powered off one side of an ev P2000. madeq is to make up for relative inefficiency when combined with 100w hifi speakers..

whole rig, once phased which was a nightmare, sounds bloody good actually, which is actually quite a scary prospect!

hope you enjoyed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1326 by tommysb
Posh git![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

More
15 years 10 months ago #1357 by noiseboy
I like it ,how long before you put it into full production? Yeah one day all speaker systems will be built this way! the future is here!

COOL!

More
15 years 10 months ago #1368 by tb_mike
hehe I like it
So the 1gB of ram comes in handy viewing forums? Or you play crysis etc??

• ginger_biscuit69
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1383 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic the uni halls rig: featuring pd186 cardboard beast
i do a lot of everything with it, from games like Bioshock which still isnt completely smooth with this spec, but near enough. in a pro sense, its been used for disco type playback, and as a control station for high aspect projector type stuff (dual head 1024mb card). needs loads of threads for decent picture quality. otherwise its mainly been things like using microsoft word for essays this year!!

More
15 years 10 months ago #1463 by markie
So let's get this right you've got that little 8" REL sub on one side of an EV P2000 and it's trying to keep up with a PD186 on the other side????? I'm gonna report you to the RSPCD.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1527 by

my home sterio/pc speakers, pair of void mycro6 and a mycro sub, currently powered off a void kryo, k5. [on loan]
similar sort of sillyness.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1710 by sks01
thats the most ridiculous subwoofer ive ever seen outside of youtube though if were showing off ridiculous room hifi's our entire rig lives in mine as we havn't got any storage [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img] once its all tidied from recent frivolities in their ill get some pics up

do it for the love of the music

• ginger_biscuit69
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1715 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic the uni halls rig: featuring pd186 cardboard beast
haha, it was made on a whim,scrumpied up, slow wet boring afternoon. the driver was sat around as i had just repaired it. made my flatmates laugh

More
15 years 10 months ago #1716 by sks01
i can imagine, im guessing it was never designed to have anywhere near the rms power handeling im a fan of threadbear looking kit as most of ours is but thats just taking it one step beyond (cue saxaphone)

do it for the love of the music

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds