Sub suggestions for roots music

• easy my youth
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #22054 by easy my youth
Sub suggestions for roots music was created by easy my youth
Greetings to all soundman and woman coming to you from JA. I am in the process of rebuilding my sound and have not yet decided on sub design. I play roots music, outdoor venues only, 300-500 persons, and occasionally mix live music. Box potability and weight are not issues because I have transport, storage, and willing hands. Ease of construction is important. Have used scoops in the past, but not this time around. Have also used 2X18 reflex. System consists of 18 sub, 15 kick, 12 mids and 1.5 comp.driver. Am considering cubo 18 using RCF L18x451 driver. Many JA sounds are using double T 18s, I have heard them sounding great- Grenade , and like crap - Stone Love. No diss to S. Love, but the selector was inexperienced and everything was overdriven. Grenade is mature and consistently sounds good, popular in western JA. Any suggestions, comments, and questions welcomed. Perhaps outdoor suggests horn sub Give thanxx, easy my youth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22064 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Sub suggestions for roots music
2x cubo 18's will destroy a double t18.... a lot of the bhangra boys hear in the uk are swopping there t18's for the cubo. throw on the cubo is around the same as the t18, the cubo drops lower about the same spl, but a lot cleaner in tonality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bjm362, easy my youth

• easy my youth
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #22071 by easy my youth
Replied by easy my youth on topic Sub suggestions for roots music
Give thanxx Elements, your input is appreciated. Not trying to be the heaviest sound around, clean and full of melody is my thing. Sad to say that 2 plastic speakers on a pole, 2 subs, and a ton of over driven distortion have become the norm for "sound system". Nothing against technology , but often it's not even a sound, just a bredren with a laptop. Going with cubo 18 subs....my compliments to you on the quality of your work. Any suggestions for 15 kichs for use with cubo 18 . easy my youth

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22072 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Sub suggestions for roots music
something like a pair of ES18s cut to the same width as the Cubo18s should do ya!. Cubos are not known for their kick but a pair of 1850 loaded Cubos (ala Bens handy work) should give you a beautiful low and round bottom end that you will find hard to make sound shite unless you under power them with a small amp and distort them to buggery.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by mini-mad. Reason: spellin'
The following user(s) said Thank You: easy my youth

More
9 years 6 months ago #22073 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Sub suggestions for roots music
was gonna say down scale an es18 to a 15", I gave this advice out to another forum member, who was well happy with the outcome....

More
9 years 6 months ago #22074 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Sub suggestions for roots music
There you go... a pair of XB/XS loaded cubo15s with a down scaled ES18 on top or a 1850 loaded cubo18 with a slightly modified ES18 cut to the same width as the cubo so it all stacks nicely and just plop you midtops on top at that should bring your comps up to ABOUT head hight :-)

• easy my youth
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #22081 by easy my youth
Replied by easy my youth on topic Re:Sub suggestions for roots music
Thanxx for your suggestions mini mad. Is there no cubo 15 kick bin . I am in Jamaica, where all British drivers are top $$$ - especially 1850's. I have access to RCF, Eminence, B&C, 18 sound are reasonably priced, so I would prefer a 15 kick which can use one of these manufacturer's drivers.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22084 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re:Sub suggestions for roots music
im sure the es18 was based around an p audio driver originally, so use the same one but the 15" version driver....
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by bee.

• easy my youth
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #22104 by easy my youth
Replied by easy my youth on topic Re:Sub suggestions for roots music
OK Elements, give thanxx for your help.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22129 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic Sub suggestions for roots music
If I run a system out of JA I would be unconventional, shock everyone and build scoops.

I'd build the right scoops with the right drivers and proper amps and show the other systems just what they're missing.

Rog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: easy my youth

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds