switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

More
12 years 5 months ago #15856 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

levyte357 wrote:

bitzo wrote: someone have ever tested qsc pl6.0 o pl9.0 over a scoop load?

"Rumour" has it Pl6.0/pl9.0 are very, very dangerous indeed.

Came close to buying PL9.0 recently, but don't think I could trust it driving 3x Turbomax per channel.

awesome power but k-rap on sub, no warmth what so ever

RUMOUR has it, the pl6 and 9 were designed to be used with Clair Brothers FULLrange cabs :oops:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #15857 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
I heard a powersoft 10 for the first time ever at the MOTION54 dance recently..OK, the bass bins were crossed high BUT I could still tell that it was a switchmode

the only switchmode amps that come close to being warm are the older model LabGrups

More
12 years 5 months ago #15861 by tweeter box
Replied by tweeter box on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

luton_soundman wrote: do you know if marlon an dem man will be running qsc lightweights on sub @ gpalace?

he was at my house yesterdayn thats exactly what theyll be using smiley2

Time is longer than road.

More
12 years 5 months ago #15869 by saul
Replied by saul on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

saul wrote: tried a certain heavyweight over PD1850s over the weekend and can safely say, im glad we have one and not an smps. bwoy was i impressed with the way it responded

on a dodgey 13a ring as well

More
12 years 2 months ago #16683 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
This will always be a curious subject for me. When it comes to heavy amps, even if you have them, there's no guarantee that it will be the best amp or that it is being driven to its optimum. Operators, eq x/o points etc. When it comes to a lightweight, the same same things apply. What I will say is that if you want to have your eyeballs shaken, and air rushing past your face, get down to the Dub Bunker in Southend next time I have my big amp on, and then decide whether you think a lightweight can put a smile on your face.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 2 months ago #16690 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: This will always be a curious subject for me. When it comes to heavy amps, even if you have them, there's no guarantee that it will be the best amp or that it is being driven to its optimum. Operators, eq x/o points etc. When it comes to a lightweight, the same same things apply. What I will say is that if you want to have your eyeballs shaken, and air rushing past your face, get down to the Dub Bunker in Southend next time I have my big amp on, and then decide whether you think a lightweight can put a smile on your face.

Tony, no chance of you playing in GP again?

That would be the perfect arena for comparing SMPS vs Torroidial.

So far, sweetest sounding SMPS I've ever heard on 4x 1850 scoops in anger, is Lab Gruppen FP14000 copy.

Which obviously speaks voulmes about the original.

Was only in 4 ohm stereo mode, so would need 2.66 ohm stereo load, to see if orig LabG will limit, when 40hz note hits. :lol:

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 2 months ago #16691 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
GP is possible again, but this time I would bring my own people, and front end.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 2 months ago #16694 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: GP is possible again, but this time I would bring my own people, and front end.

Just locate a Roots Selector, and you're good to go then.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 1 month ago #16889 by atikominus
Replied by atikominus on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

levyte357 wrote:

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: This will always be a curious subject for me. When it comes to heavy amps, even if you have them, there's no guarantee that it will be the best amp or that it is being driven to its optimum. Operators, eq x/o points etc. When it comes to a lightweight, the same same things apply. What I will say is that if you want to have your eyeballs shaken, and air rushing past your face, get down to the Dub Bunker in Southend next time I have my big amp on, and then decide whether you think a lightweight can put a smile on your face.

Tony, no chance of you playing in GP again?

That would be the perfect arena for comparing SMPS vs Torroidial.

So far, sweetest sounding SMPS I've ever heard on 4x 1850 scoops in anger, is Lab Gruppen FP14000 copy.

Which obviously speaks voulmes about the original.

Was only in 4 ohm stereo mode, so would need 2.66 ohm stereo load, to see if orig LabG will limit, when 40hz note hits. :lol:

Well, greetings to all (as a new member) this is Dubwise Hi-Fi, the only original soundsystem in Athens Greece.
we are using 2 labgroupen fp6400 with 4 supperscoopers loaded with PD1850 and we are prety pleased

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds