switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

• david
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #15377 by david
since the other thread is locked :silent: i will share my experience with lightweight amps on sub and roots/dub.
this is not a personal rant against anyone.
my problem with levyte isnt a personal issue, its that my experience is the opposite!

i'm not here to say i'm an expert, as i'm not, but i try to help people. i had 100kg of crest amps, great sound, now i have switchmode and my back is better...

if you go for big lightweights, they would perform great. ffa, lab gruppen, powersoft, i have heard or used them and they were as good as the best heavy amps.
i use ffa 10000 on sub and the sound is well suited to the digital dub its usually played on the soundsystem. it played at full power for 12+ hours, in very dusty places, with uk dub masters at the controls. 8 oh, 4 ohm, 2 ohm, no issues. its not warm as the older crest i had, the sound is cold and aggressive. its what i was looking for.
powersoft and big lab gruppen, they are as good as the ffa, dont know about their 2 ohm performance but i'm sure its up to their high standards.
crest pro series, not the heavy one....very good sound, but you cant compare a 9200 to a powersoft k10, theres too much power and price difference...
crown and qsc...i didnt use the best of the range and i was a bit disappointed, didnt sound too good and they were redlining early.

i was disappointed by the proel hpd series but its cheap and i use it as a spare amp. it sounds dry on tops and lacks power and definition on the bassline.
chinese copies...i have used/heard some. few of them sound bad and dont have the power. other (lab copies) have enough power for the price but i dont like the sound, lot of distortion, not a clear bassline.

if you wanna get big heavy amps, fine...but you wont be disappointed by switchmode if you get the best ones...even if you play roots/dub/dancehall.

smiley27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #15379 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
At the end of the day, it's you who has to go out with confidence, and be happy with your own sound. you will always get other people who know better. As long as you keep your customers happy, that's most of the job done. What is certain, is that you will never keep your competition happy.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 6 months ago #15380 by saul
Replied by saul on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
So, David, you come here and start a war equally as trivial and pointless as the very topics that have haunted the forums in the past.

Welcome to the jungle my friend

smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36 smiley36

• david
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #15381 by david
Replied by david on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
i really dont want a war.
you're right its trivial and pointless. you can delete my posts on the other thread and open it again, i wont be posting there. even if i think i have a good point, if my behaviour goes out of the rules of this forum, i apologize
i usually have few time to post on discussions as i'm busy with other stuff, i just think in a different way on some subjects. the roots/dub scene around my area is still a place where people help each other, there are no clashes but cooperation, its not all about who has the best amp.
since i think that with good switchmode amps you can get a good sound and give enough juice to high power drivers, i wrote about it.
no bad feelings

More
12 years 6 months ago #15388 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances

david wrote: i really dont want a war.
you're right its trivial and pointless. you can delete my posts on the other thread and open it again, i wont be posting there. even if i think i have a good point, if my behaviour goes out of the rules of this forum, i apologize

No "if" about it. You were made aware of the rules of the forum, and warned twice about the "presentation" of the content of your opinion, yet still flagrantly disregarded the guidelines aimed to prevent just what you posted.

Despite your 2X heckling PMs, and "weak public apology", the thread will remain locked, but without posts deleted. They are an excellent example of what is not in the interests of the forum, and why guidelines are needed, to curb individuals who believe "free"speakerplans.com also means "anarchy"speakerplans.com.

EDIT:After "re-reading" your 2x PMs, In the context of freespeakerplans.com, I would suggest you take due care and attention when addressing me, or posting in Freespeakerplans.com::RC in the future, as I know of members on "SP" banned for much less than what you have already done.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 6 months ago #15391 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
How much bl**dy trouble have lighweight amps caused!

Damn things, get a trolly or membership to the gym :crazy:

• david
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #15394 by david
Replied by david on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
levyte i never offended you. if second time wasnt enough read my PMs again. please remember i didnt study at oxford but i come from a foreign country.
if anyone would like to read those "heckling PMs" can write to me, then you can judge.
here i'll say that i just wrote to lev that his views were wrong and that he likes to have the last word in discussions a bit too much for my taste.
i made public apology on this thread but its not enough...the moderator think its weak...soooooo....since i'm not welcome here and even worth to be banned, i'd say goodbye

still no bad feelings, the world is big enough

More
12 years 5 months ago #15824 by tweeter box
Replied by tweeter box on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
im not involved in the arguement so i will just state what i know from experience:

lightweight amps cannot do what theier heavyweight brothers can do
the sound quality and "depth" from a lightweight is hollow compared to a big transformer amp
i n i have come to the conclusion that without drawing power through a big transformer no bass weight depth will be present

i use a MC2 T1000 on my tops which will soon be for sale as a Vector (matrix) 350 can easily outplay it :shock:
these are my findings through experiance with Powersoft, Labs, Crest, PKN, MC2, Chinesey copies etc etc

i must also state that i man a strictly Turbomax so these findings may have been different if PD1850s were being used smiley37

now pls let the arguement continue :silent:

Time is longer than road.

More
12 years 5 months ago #15826 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
someone have ever tested qsc pl6.0 o pl9.0 over a scoop load?

More
12 years 5 months ago #15829 by luton_soundman
Replied by luton_soundman on topic switchmode amplifiers for dub dances
after hearing what my budget torroidal did over the weekend i wouldn't touch a lightweight with a bargepole! especially for the price of them!

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds