The Monoblock Amplifier

More
12 years 11 months ago #13656 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic The Monoblock Amplifier

saul wrote: if you're going to be putting 5KW down one cable...........lol

No Saul, not gonna do that, you missed the trick... smiley2

Wake up son...

:lol:

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #13657 by levyte357

Kanwar wrote:
Yes, JTS has fuse per speakon, IMHO its not a good idea as far as solid path for audio current is concerned.

Kanwar

Trust me on this Kanwar, these amps sound plenty solid, and have embarrassed many amps of higher power rating.
Recently engineered system which used 2k version of this to drive 4x PD1850 scoops, covering 500 people all night.

If JTS has fused each speakon, it is for good reason.. smiley2

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13659 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ
Replied by ΚΔΠШΔЯ on topic The Monoblock Amplifier

NITZ V1505 wrote:
Kanwar why are you against one potentiometer? Also will you use the same case as the stereo version? This would be a good idea so you can space out components and ensure adequate cooling of components. Also how will the layout be if you want the airflow from front to back?
I think the best way would be having a fan or preferably two fans blowing directly onto the heatsink/op stage. Also agree with Saul about the heavy duty speakons x 4 wired in parallel .

Hi Narinder,

When the level of control is operated from Mixer or Roots preamp, i don't feel like giving a potentiometer which i have seen is always set to max position while playing the amp by majority of people. Regarding the case, we are going for dedicated one with standard 19" rack mount configuration. We will go with push-pull tunnel this time using 2 fans . One fan will push the air in to the tunnel , another fan will suck out the hot air from the other side of the tunnel.

levyte357 wrote: Trust me on this Kanwar, these amps sound plenty solid, and have embarrassed many amps of higher power rating.
Recently engineered system which used 2k version of this to drive 4x PD1850 scoops, covering 500 people all night.

If JTS has fused each speakon, it is for good reason..

Lev,
I trust you on that, certainly no issues here smiley1 .

Cheers,
Kanwar

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #13660 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ

Saul, using 4 separate Speakons gives you the benefit of wiring each single scoop separately which increases damping factor available at speaker end + the good contact termination.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #13662 by saul
Replied by saul on topic The Monoblock Amplifier

levyte357 wrote: No Saul, not gonna do that, you missed the trick... smiley2

Wake up son...

:lol:

smiley36 smiley36 im sure you've used that pic before many times...

panic not sir, haven't missed the trick - of course the beauty of two speakons is being able to use a "stereo" type wiring setup

my post was more about: "someone will go and do it..........." smiley18

Kanwar wrote: Saul, using 4 separate Speakons gives you the benefit of wiring each single scoop separately which increases damping factor available at speaker end + the good contact termination.

i would suspect most people would just use two speakon outputs as if it were a stereo amp, daisy chaining once at the boxes, rather than buying more cables/changing wiring setup.......but then, not necessarily of course smiley14
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by saul.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13666 by saul
Replied by saul on topic The Monoblock Amplifier

levyte357 wrote: Looks like the JTS also has fuse per speakon !?

probably prevention of this... not simply output over current.

bet those output fuses are 20a/25a each - (standard speakon rated at 30a)

More
12 years 10 months ago #13669 by NITZ V1505
Replied by NITZ V1505 on topic The Monoblock Amplifier

Kanwar wrote:

NITZ V1505 wrote:
Kanwar why are you against one potentiometer? Also will you use the same case as the stereo version? This would be a good idea so you can space out components and ensure adequate cooling of components. Also how will the layout be if you want the airflow from front to back?
I think the best way would be having a fan or preferably two fans blowing directly onto the heatsink/op stage. Also agree with Saul about the heavy duty speakons x 4 wired in parallel .

Hi Narinder,

When the level of control is operated from Mixer or Roots preamp, i don't feel like giving a potentiometer which i have seen is always set to max position while playing the amp by majority of people. Regarding the case, we are going for dedicated one with standard 19" rack mount configuration. We will go with push-pull tunnel this time using 2 fans . One fan will push the air in to the tunnel , another fan will suck out the hot air from the other side of the tunnel.

levyte357 wrote: Trust me on this Kanwar, these amps sound plenty solid, and have embarrassed many amps of higher power rating.

If JTS has fused each speakon, it is for good reason..

Lev,
I trust you on that, certainly no issues here smiley1 .

Cheers,
Kanwar

The best way is to have no pot. But with this level of power if your not personally operating the sound and you wanna stop the guy who is frying the drivers a pot can come in handy. About tunnel cooling didnt you write somewhere before that this method cooling the o/p devices
wasnt consistent i.e. cooled them down at different rates. No matter this shouldnt be an issue if you use 2x5" fan on each end.
About the case what do you mean by dedicated 19"rack mount ? The old one was 19" rackmount too . The height I assume will be the same as the stereo version, so will you alter the depth? Just thinking about the layout of psu and tunnel with respect to balancing the weight evenly.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13670 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic The Monoblock Amplifier
about mounting of cooling fan...what do you think about a connector on the fan? I mean not solder them just like some server. You place the fan in its position and the male connector link it to the board where its placed a female connector. In that way you can easly clean them or change.

More
12 years 10 months ago #13672 by levyte357

Saul wrote: panic not sir, haven't missed the trick - of course the beauty of two speakons is being able to use a "stereo" type wiring setup

my post was more about: "someone will go and do it..........." smiley18

Agreeed..

I was thinking more like 4x2.5mm2 (paired up) to each scoop.. smiley16

Kanwar wrote: Saul, using 4 separate Speakons gives you the benefit of wiring each single scoop separately which increases damping factor available at speaker end + the good contact termination.

Yes..

I also agree fuse per speakon is more output protection in case of numpty setup. :lol:

IMHO, Amp has to have Gain Pot.

Some crews like to gradually raise the Sub amp gain, as the amp warms up through the gig... smiley2

• ΚΔΠШΔЯ
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #13673 by ΚΔΠШΔЯ

Narinder Dadral wrote: About tunnel cooling didnt you write somewhere before that this method cooling the o/p devices
wasnt consistent i.e. cooled them down at different rates. No matter this shouldnt be an issue if you use 2x5" fan on each end.
About the case what do you mean by dedicated 19"rack mount ? The old one was 19" rackmount too . The height I assume will be the same as the stereo version, so will you alter the depth? Just thinking about the layout of psu and tunnel with respect to balancing the weight evenly.

Tunnel cooling with only one fan would result in difference in temperature of devices which are mounted across the length of the tunnel, But when you have push-pull arrangement with 2-Fans on each end of the Tunnel, the thermal gradient stabilizes and difference is no longer there. Regarding chassis, the transformer would be on one side and tunnel on other side, it won't properly balance the amplifier though, but good in utilizing the space more efficiently. Chassis has to be designed for proper monoblock.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by ΚΔΠШΔЯ.

Moderators: levyte357
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds