Impulse response competition: Which sub is which?

More
13 years 6 months ago #10132 by Pasi

chaudio wrote: I would say Sub 3 is the D&B B2 as it's a narrow tuned bandpass

No horn loading rules out the FK1/Turbo 2x18 BP4 Horns.

So Sub 2 is probably some kind of reflex. Is the inverted polarity a red herring or a big clue?

Actually B2 is sub number 2 with D12 and "normal" mode.

Tony: Of course you can't judge speaker based on pretty colors and lines, but they give you some information about what to expect. If impulse response shows considerable ringing, you can't excpet for example the sub to be really tight and accurate. Point of this thread is not to slag any of these cabinets or promote any of them, it is just (at least in my opinion) funnier way to see how different results can be found from different boxes. Real purpose will be revealed later when i continue about impulse response itself as a tool.

One have to remember though, that since there is some processing involved (LPF at least, don't know what D12 does above that) it also shows small mark in impulse response. For example that small dip or peak on left side just before bigger peak or dip is caused by this, filter overshoot. Not Low Pass Filter applied, no small dip/peak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10133 by chaudio
That makes a lot of sense now. The B2 processing is designed so it will run partially in the same passband as other subs which would explain the polarity inversion.

More
13 years 5 months ago #10183 by chaudio
So what were the other two then?

More
13 years 5 months ago #10356 by Pasi

chaudio wrote: So what were the other two then?

Sorry for this long long delay. Have been just way too busy.

Like someone suspected, because it would be too obvious, there is actually response from PUKK-218 included :)

Other 2 are D&B B2 and Martin WS218X. All measured with same signal, same location. B2 with D12 in normal mode, Martin with Ohm CFU-A3 amp and CRED, just like PUKK.

I will continue from this to using impulse response in time aligning, is it good, bad or something between. But that will have to wait few more days. Sorry.

Moderators: Pasi
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds