Impulse response competition: Which sub is which?

More
13 years 6 months ago #10093 by Pasi
Hi again.

Let's move on in our techincal issues via small competition. Here we have 3 subs, all are 2x18" boxes. 2 well known and 1 less known box. Can you say which subs these are and which is the best one? None of these is hornloaded in anyway.

Sub1:

Sub2:

Sub3:

Winner gets lots of admiration and honor!

You have time until friday evening.

(Impulse response shows how accurate replication of excitation signal comes out from sub. Optimally it is just one sharp peak upwards. This peak also tells us directly, wheter our speakers are in same polarity. If peak is always up, we have it right, if it is down in some cases, we need to do polarity reverse. This is helpfull tool in time & phase aligning but you need to know how to use it and what to do with it. This story will come next after this competition)

Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10098 by bitzo
thanks pasi this should be very interesting.
I don't know what are they but sub2 sub3 are the same just with reverse polarity.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10101 by dookietwo2
Replied by dookietwo2 on topic Impulse response competition: Which sub is which?
Although its a nice idea for now there is not enough information for anyone to draw a correct answer.
1. The test inpulse should be shown for comparison. It could have looked like any of the 3.
2. Were all speakers in the exact same spot?
3. At what freq. was pulse at? One sub may look great at 15hz while the other 2 may not. Doesn't make the other 2 not as good. It just means one sub may be better at a certain freq.
4. At what power voltage was this pulse at? Same as 3 above.

The impulse response can also show time offset between a reference microphone and the speaker in test. This is used to put the reference side and microphone side in alignment. In smaart as an example.

When comparing anything for that matter you need the full picture. Its just not here to make a correct answer. One sub could have been measured in a room and the other in a field? Who knows?

Kind of like me asking. "How long is this string I'm holding?"

Doug

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #10102 by bee
well im gonna go with plot 1 being the best the peaks and dips are smaller and stays close to 0........ the other two plots have more peaks and dips...... plot one has reversed polarity i think......

possibly the ev rx218, turbosound TXD-218, and the D&B B2....... just a guess........
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by bee.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10103 by mykey-
is 1 the PUKK?

More
13 years 6 months ago #10105 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Impulse response competition: Which sub is which?
The best one is the one that sounds the best.

If you think that you can tell which speaker is best by looking at pretty pictures you are in the wrong job mate.

@ Mykey Open book or what.

Tony

More
13 years 6 months ago #10112 by bee
@ tony lol....... they could be any 2 x 18 out there...... just havin a guess..... as for the plotts Doug is spot on......

More
13 years 6 months ago #10122 by Pasi
Guys, it is just for fun and to show how different responses you get between boxes when measured. Yes same place, same mic distance, only box is different.

2 right answers so far.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10124 by bee
mykey i thought of the PUKK-218 too but is it too obvious........ smiley29

More
13 years 6 months ago #10125 by chaudio
I would say Sub 3 is the D&B B2 as it's a narrow tuned bandpass

No horn loading rules out the FK1/Turbo 2x18 BP4 Horns.

So Sub 2 is probably some kind of reflex. Is the inverted polarity a red herring or a big clue?

Moderators: Pasi
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds