PA needed for live Dance/Techno Band

• christian_ahm
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #16398 by christian_ahm
PA needed for live Dance/Techno Band was created by christian_ahm
Hey freespeakerplans. Bin looking alot around your forum, but designed to sign in, cause i need some help.

I play in a partyband, that plays all sorts of bass heavy music, but in a live setup. We have an old PA that we use for rehearsal, but we need something bigger that we can bring for gigs.

[tube:252vqcfw]ruKRuSdtDlM[/tube:252vqcfw]

Our gigs are primarily 200-500people. In 200-300^m2 rooms.

I already have a x-over (Dba DriveRack PA), but i need everything else. The budget is around 3500 euro, and i would find it fun building parts of it myself (im thinking the subs).

From reading here on the page i was thinking some a pair of double 18" and a pair of fullrange tops with a 15" to go low to enough and reachs that subs. I know there as many oppinions as there are people in this fora but i hope i can narrow down the possibilities.

1. I dont need long throw.
2. I don't need super low bass (its a live setup) Lowest frequency generetad would be the 41hz from the bass guitar (E)

ps. i've have a question. why are bins that play in the 80-160 hz area called kick bins?.... most of the kick drums ive come across in my musical career (electronic or acoustic) have been tuned to something between 40 and 80 hz?

Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #16410 by bee
Replied by bee on topic PA needed for live Dance/Techno Band
the kick bin, is better known as a mid base cab, but the term kick bin is a new term thrown around for this type of cab. The term kick bin comes from the systle of music that is being played. Alot of dance music has alot of punch in the 80 to 150 region, and some feel a dedicated cab for this region help give a better sound. In reggare / root they cross there scoops to mid base (kick) from around 80hz, in dance its often crossed over around 100 to 120hz. Because there is alot of low sub in these styles of music it can be too much on the drivers to play from 30 to 150hz, a mid sub cab helps take the strain of the sub cabs. Hope this helps...

• christian_ahm
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #16411 by christian_ahm
Replied by christian_ahm on topic PA needed for live Dance/Techno Band
Makes very good sense. I just confused it with a actual kick drum.

Thx. Any thoughts about what to build?

More
12 years 3 months ago #16414 by ynopac
Replied by ynopac on topic PA needed for live Dance/Techno Band
try cb 18 cyclops smiley20

More
12 years 3 months ago #16418 by bee
the cyclops is an ok cab, but not for live stuff, i would go with 2 double 18 reflexes per side, and 2 15 reflex tops a side....... That way if you need to expand the system, this will give you alot of room for the rig to grow. you couls add subs underneath the 18 reflexes horns on top ect......

More
12 years 3 months ago #16422 by staiper
Replied by staiper on topic PA needed for live Dance/Techno Band

bee wrote: the cyclops is an ok cab, but not for live stuff..

Why not? .. as much as I know majority of "Cyclops" users use them almost exclusively for live gigs.

More
12 years 3 months ago #16423 by bee
ok, i heard one a few months back and wasnt inpressed, maybe ill knock one up and have a listen again.... could of been the way they where set up. The band using them where a covers band, mainly singing stuff from the 60's........

• christian_ahm
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #16424 by christian_ahm
which double 18 cab would you suggest? the g-sub?

because we are a "touring" band, its a priority to have the most spl/m^3. Therefore a double 18 reflex is problerly better than the cyclops? or correct me if i am wrong.

thx fore your help. I think 4 double 18's is a bit over budget? or? is it possible.

More
12 years 3 months ago #16425 by bee
just refreshed my memory of the cab plan, i didnt rearlise its one of your designs staiper smiley20 , Ill give the cab another go, when i get 5 ill knock one up and have a play......

christian the g-sub is a good design, depends on your budget and the price of drivers you want to load it with.

• christian_ahm
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 3 months ago #16430 by christian_ahm
I was considering loading em with something like pd186... would that be a wise choice?

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds