New Enclosures Required

More
12 years 2 months ago #16752 by malcolm
Replied by malcolm on topic New Enclosures Required
I am surprised that you say you are running your sound at half power because the socket only supplies 15A @240V = 3600W maximum... In France I am always aware when plugging in my sound system of this problem... So the first thing I do when I arrive at a venue is to get my table lamp out, plug it in, and switch it on... Then, I go to the circuit board, and switch off all the circuit breakers... Then, I switch them on and off until I find the circuit that lights up my table lamp...leaving that circuit on, I go and unplug my lamp and search for a socket where the lamp is off ...then I return to the circuit board and start switching on and off the circuit breakers until I have found my second circuit...I continue until I have 3 different circuits....And I keep those circuits as dedicated for my sound system , I usually tape over the sockets not used so other people know not to plug in to those circuits..... Thus I always have enough power for the sound system...

I also use the heaviest cables I can find both for the electrical supply and speakers... In fact on the subs I have doubled the speaker cables in parallel...and I try to use the shortest cables possible It is surprising the difference this can make on your eventual SPLs...and amp clipping levels...everything should (after the amps have warmed up) be able to be driven much harder with no damage to the system...

Have you also considered phase cancellation bands at your top end?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16760 by arrie
Replied by arrie on topic New Enclosures Required
Rish

to my mind, drivers in a bass reflex enclosure take much more strain than in horn loaded cabs. the excursion of the driver is quite limited in the horn cab and much less wattage is needed for the same SPL, compared to to the bass reflex. the horn loaded gives a given SPL in 1/8 space while the bass reflex is radiating in 1/2 space. which parameters of my current speakers is not suitable for horn loaded cabs?
i play mostly dance music in the 125-135 Bpm range. and that includes any genre category falling within that Bpm range. my preferance however is to have a boost in the frequancy range of 50 - 100Hz which is the range where one experiences that deep kick and also a little boost in the 10 000 Hz upwards. that accents the finer detail in the music creating a clarity perception. having a boost in the lower frequancy also creates the perception of reaching very low frequancies even though it is not technically the case. the whole idea is to create the perception of powerfull sound at low SPL levels.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16764 by rish
Replied by rish on topic New Enclosures Required
Arrie.

the sealed compartment in a horn loaded cab places huge amounts of pressure on the speaker. the speaker needs to have a very strong motor in order to cope with this pressure. maby the hybrid speaker can cope but i dont think so. but if you can post the T/S parameters for the hybrid, i would definately like to see it. it looks like the cab that you want is es18bph. i do have two which i built for testing purposes which you could try out but i am in Durban. i have built scoops, x1 , horn cabs over the years and they are all good but i find myself keep going back to reflex's for sound quality. now i use tapped horns which i really enjoy.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16767 by joeysub
Replied by joeysub on topic New Enclosures Required
+1

i always end up going back to reflex , still the best all-rounder by far!

More
12 years 2 months ago #16774 by JJD
Replied by JJD on topic New Enclosures Required
If you play dance music and love kick, make hybrid horn, probably the best for what you want.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16775 by joeysub
Replied by joeysub on topic New Enclosures Required
all depends on what you want!

if im playing mainly dance music i take out my mbp-46 hybrid horns!

if im playing dubstep/dnb etc then i take my reflexes!

and sometimes i take both and use the mbp-46 for kick duty which it does very well!

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds