New Enclosures Required

More
12 years 2 months ago #16697 by arrie
New Enclosures Required was created by arrie
[attachment=0:gwgmr20a]<!-- ia0 -->b1200.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:gwgmr20a][attachment=0:gwgmr20a]<!-- ia0 -->b1200.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:gwgmr20a]hi all

just want to introduce myself as a newcomer. i have been following some developments on this site for some time now and i think it is time to get on board.
my interest is especially in combining the conventional acoustical amplification designs of yesteryear with the more powerfull amplifiers available today. i have an absolute passion for huge sound, especially the kick region of 50 - 100 Hz.
this will also be the basis of my discussion on this forums. my current system consist off:

Amplifier Hybrid A1600 x 5 (800W RMS x 2)
Amplifier Hybrid B 1200 x 1 (600W RMS x 2)
18" Hybrid 18H600 x 6 (600W RMS 25-3000Hz)
15" Hybrid 15H300 x 12 (300W RMS 300 - 2800Hz)
HF drivers Hybrid HT 40 x 6 (1" 40W RMS)

all drivers except for the HF are housed in Bass reflex enclosures. this system works well especially when stacked together. gives a very good thump! i have never driven this beyond 50% capacity due to the limited single phase supply of 240 V@15Amps which is the standard in RSA for single phase supply. beyond that amperage requirements, one would have to connect directly to a DB outlet.

i have been playing quite a few outdoor events and the reflex system does not carry the bass that well for very far. there are lots of capability though (+- 10 000Watts) this would require the system to drain about 20 -25 amps from the mains. it is inconvenient to couple to a DB board for each event because that comes with its own challenges.
the way i see it is to go with higher efficiency with lower power requirements from the mains. so new enclosure designs are the way to go, i am sure there would be many thoughts on this and i would certainly welcome that.

High Fidelity is not a requirement as this is for PA aplication. very low frequencies also not a problem as this can be compensated for in the stacking configuration. the perception of lower bass response can also be created through the use of an equalizer and i am quite used to creating that perception.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16698 by swan
Replied by swan on topic New Enclosures Required
Hi Arrie

Welcom to the site. In my opinion Hybrid used to be a good name, But they have become flea market specials. they were good when the speakers were Beyma loaded. Not to run you down, but there are better makes available in SA. I had a A4000 amp for a couple of days and returned it as it blew on me. I am using a Beta3 U2000 amp rated at 1000 watts @ 8 ohm per channel and very happy with it. I would rather go for the DAS brand they sell. At leats it is made in Valecia, Spain and not some cheap Chinese make.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16699 by arrie
Replied by arrie on topic New Enclosures Required
Thanks Swan!

That is not very inspiring, i realise that this is not top range but i am stuck with it. so i have to make good use of it. i have been playing this system for almost a year now without any problems what so ever. never seen this being sold at a fleamarket though, are you serious?

More
12 years 2 months ago #16701 by bee
Replied by bee on topic New Enclosures Required
lol re-fleemarket..... its a saying, im sure these are not sold at flee markets, thats where you get flees from right....

as for higher spl at lower watts you would need to look into horn loaded cabinets......

ive seen and played on a lot of das systems in europe nice sounding gear......

More
12 years 2 months ago #16711 by swan
In Boksburg (for the guys in UK and elsewhere, it is a suburb east of Johannesburg) we have a flea market (it is a traders square where you buy titbits at a reduced price) there are guys selling hybrid speakers and amplifiers. If you want to go for decent, try sound and light city in Midrand, SBR in Springs. Go onto the net and have a look what you can get. Good value for money is REAL at Via Afrika in Rosebank. If you got the money, Peavey is a good choice as well. Do some research before you jump in and buy anything. Try Purpleonline. they have some fantastic deals as well. Good luck in your search.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16713 by arrie
Swan

I appreciate the advice and recommendations. my scenario is, i have all these equipment as listed previously already in hand. i have been playing with it for almost a year both indoor and outdoors. in my opinion, it does not sound bad at all. I have never utilised this complete system beyond 50% capacity though. and i can tell you that i also did not need to go beyond that to achieve higher SPL's.
as i mentioned before, i realise that this system is not top notch, but it certainly does not sound low end as well. my interest is to increase the SPL of the current drivers, driven by the current amplifiers, through the utilisation of enclosures that are more effective than the Bass Reflex enclosures. a lot of the shortcomings of the current system can easily be compensated for just by means of an equaliser. to my mind, if one could create the perception to an audiance of a good sound system, even though it is technically not, the goal is achieved.
please do not get me wrong, i am not asking anyone to compare my system to any other system. i merely want to improve on what i currently have, through the utilisation of better acoustical enclosures.
these enclosures will surely be of some or other horn design for the complete frequancy range. My quest is then, to decide on the best type of enclosures. the HF is sorted as these drivers are already in suitable enclosures. the next decision to make is which LF enclosure would be most suitable for the 18"drivers, to achieve maximum SPL's. and then for the LF+mid drivers. i was thinking of utilising the Celestion Pavilion front horn, housing 2 x 15" drivers for the low and mid frequancies, and for the 18", the MHB 46 by Marc.Q. any thoughts on that?

More
12 years 2 months ago #16728 by swan
Arrie

Have a look at Cubo 18 design on this site. play around and see where you come out. Obviously you have to transport your eqiupment around, so try the compact sizes or try the superscoop if space is not of concern. Hope you come right. Sorry for my comments about Hybrid. That is just my opinion. They might sound great and do what you expect from it. Didnt mean to run you down. Go onto Via Afrika's websit and see what theu have. Look at REAL, DAS and Audiocenter.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16730 by rish
Replied by rish on topic New Enclosures Required
Hi guys. can definately vouch for the audio centre amps. i run 4 tham 15 loaded with beyma 15g450n with the DA series and it sounds awesome. heard the audiocentre speakers, i think the NT series and its great.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16745 by arrie
Guys

some opinions about the Scoop bins would be appreciated. in my opinion, there will be a cancellation to some extend in the 60 - 100 Hz region due to the phase difference of the front and back waves. this is the frequency region where one would actually get that kick bass. this will always be the case when an enclosure is both front and back horn loaded. the backward radiation is horn loaded and therefore a certain increase in the SPL for the tuned frequency of the horn. however, getting the front and backward radiating waves to be exactly in phase, not that easy. i am sure that there are more efficient enclosure designs.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16750 by rish
Replied by rish on topic New Enclosures Required
HI arrie. i dont think there is something" like the best type of enclosure". its what you want to achieve from the system. if you are looking at horn loaded cabs, then the speakers you have at present (ie the hybrid) will not do.the horn loaded cabs will tear it to bits. the speakers you have will do ok in bass reflex cabs and maby just get more of what you have at present for bigger gigs. as Swan said the hybrid are not the best so maby make do with what you have at present and when funds come in try to get something better. horn loaded cabs will require speakers that are not cheap. what music do you play, is it bass heavy or more live work?

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds