Who makes the best mini scoop

More
13 years 7 months ago #9448 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Who makes the best mini scoop
I'll try to remember what a geezer said to Steve (twins) about how a scoop works

...."yeah! it's like this yeah!, what happens is, the bass comes down yeah! and rolls off the scoop yeah! and then along the floor! ya get me!!".....

very funny when Steve does the voice of the guy :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #9455 by bee

More
13 years 7 months ago #9466 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Who makes the best mini scoop

bee wrote: tony in other threads you have said when designing your scoops you started with the well known formula for scoops...... what formula do u use....

It was not a formula. It was an adjustment. In the early days I had made JBL 4530's and '20's in an official capacity. As stated before, JBL always published their drawings to encourage people to buy their chassis speakers. The first 18" scoops I saw were gruesome. So I thought I could do a better job.
The S118 got scaled up by the difference in cone area between the 15 and the 18. This gave me a percentage figure. This is what all the measurements were increased by. That was the only logical thing I could think of at the time.
The other 3 scoops that have happened since then have a variation on a theme. There's no great design agenda in it. The moves I make are purely logical, also probably based on years of experience staring into cabinets and visualizing things. ( not a simulation in sight).

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders
The following user(s) said Thank You: djCorprate

More
13 years 7 months ago #9467 by bee

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #9468 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Who makes the best mini scoop
I think Marvin may be arranging another test soon.
Might have to drive up with the Rhino Mk3.1, as long as its his 1850 in them, not mine smiley2

Thing is, being, "outside clash culture" it woun't actually bother me if one is louder/deeper. Mine do a fine job with 4r 186's in.

More
13 years 7 months ago #9469 by phildat
Replied by phildat on topic Who makes the best mini scoop
Gotta agree with you there. Can honestly say i don't need anymore out of my subs that i don't get already. Got 6 rhinos but so far only had 4 out at a time...plenty with 2.5k of mid bass on top courtesy of my old JBL sound power 4745s.. Can't imagine i would ever be doing an event bigger than 3-400 so the set up is perfect for my needs.

would still like to hear more feedback/results/opinions about the Rhino from some of the Scoop lovers once a mk.3 has been at a shootout....

More
13 years 7 months ago #9480 by NITZ V1505
Replied by NITZ V1505 on topic Who makes the best mini scoop

Tony.A.S.S. wrote:

bee wrote: tony in other threads you have said when designing your scoops you started with the well known formula for scoops...... what formula do u use....

It was not a formula. It was an adjustment. In the early days I had made JBL 4530's and '20's in an official capacity. As stated before, JBL always published their drawings to encourage people to buy their chassis speakers. The first 18" scoops I saw were gruesome. So I thought I could do a better job.
The S118 got scaled up by the difference in cone area between the 15 and the 18. This gave me a percentage figure. This is what all the measurements were increased by. quote]

Tony would that be the same as taking the plan for the JBL and dividing all the dimensions by 15 and multiplying by 18 ,or is it abit more involved than that?

More
13 years 7 months ago #9483 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Who makes the best mini scoop
to scale up from a 15 to an 18 scoop, multiply by 1.2

if the width comes out to wide, just slim it down, but keep everything else the same smiley2

do it to the 15 fane scoop design, still one of the most shocking scoops I have heard, and even Trev might back that up

More
13 years 7 months ago #9486 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Who makes the best mini scoop

Tony.A.S.S. wrote:

The S118 got scaled up by the difference in cone area between the 15 and the 18. This gave me a percentage figure. This is what all the measurements were increased by. That was the only logical thing I could think of at the time.
The other 3 scoops that have happened since then have a variation on a theme. There's no great design agenda in it. The moves I make are purely logical, also probably based on years of experience staring into cabinets and visualizing things. ( not a simulation in sight).

I'm start thinking akabak's programmers extract the program's codes directly from your mind... smiley2
just joking

More
13 years 7 months ago #9487 by NITZ V1505
Replied by NITZ V1505 on topic Who makes the best mini scoop
Cheers for that Mykey. smiley20

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds