• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9049 by saul
Replied by saul on topic KICK BINS!!

levyte357 wrote:

saul wrote: 4x bs500s make you feel sick when they kick, because they kick hard! smiley32 - yes, they're big, but would thoroughly mince 4x reflex 15s, and can go low enough

Yes, I suggested those to large system owner last week, and he said he doesn't need such aggressive kick/upper bass, he justs wants some upper bass present, but low mid is more important, and he does'nt like the sound of low mids through horn loaded cabs. He also wants 1x Midtop/low mid for every scoop, saying it sounds more balanced. I agree.

well that just goes to show it's horses for courses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9075 by saul

bitzo wrote:

saul wrote: ok so been contemplating things for quite a while now...

when it comes to kick bins, ideally i'd like to xover at 70-80hz

or seperate kick bins that have the freedom to cross lower if need be, but obviously add a lot more bulk to the system as a whole, and doesn't look as tidy.

something like this?

it's a tapped horn single 15" loaded, sit perfectly on a super

bitzo where's that one from - got a pic?

More
13 years 8 months ago #9077 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic KICK BINS!!
it was my design. Still no prototyped....it have to be stacked on top of mine armadillo tapped horn .

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9081 by saul
hi

that looks cool, but i have remembered something, i need it to go up to around 250hz to reach my 10"

More
13 years 8 months ago #9195 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic KICK BINS!!
I've been thinking about adding kick bins to my stack but I don't know what would be best for mostly live stuff. It's so I can stack it on top of my subs which are 650 high. I really need something around 650mm wide and around 550 high. I would prefer to use a BP or horn cab. something that would cross from 70-80Hz - 150-160Hz to meet my 12's would be great.

I have not heard HD15's but I think they would be too small.

If you did go down the multiple box route what would you choose?

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9208 by saul
if i went down the split route, then i'd use my own design that i have developed.

105dB sensitivity from 70hz to 300hz.

More
13 years 7 months ago #9214 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic KICK BINS!!
It's interesting to see how some people view their boxes, and on these forums cabs do seem to get put into their own little slots. I have always had a much wider view of cabs realizing that most things are signal dependent.
Regarding folded horn cabs for upper bass, or kick bins as they are known on here, I would still go for these in any reasonable size system. This is because of projection. The voice starts to come in at around 100 hz, and if you have horn loaded mids, you do need to make sure that what's underneath them can keep up balance wise. For me, if i didn't have this setup, i would expect the low mid or upper bass to suffer.
BS1200's and 500's were used as the bottom end of PA systems long before they took on their new title, which brings me back to my thoughts on the subject. Take a normal bass cab, if it's a good one, and put a sub bass signal into it and it will start to sound like a sub bass cab. To a certain degree, whatever you're using, as long as you have a flat response across most of the system, what goes in should come out, whether naturally, or with the aid of EQ.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 7 months ago #9219 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic KICK BINS!!
Thanks Tony, I have heard great things about you.

The cabs I am using for sub at the moment are the CUBO design they are amazing little cabs. I will try crossing them higher to see what difference it makes. I am using smt212's with PDN12MH25's and p-audio DM750's and they are superb. I felt that If I used a kick cab between them it would be more dynamic and punchy and tight?

cheers, smiley20

More
13 years 7 months ago #9220 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic KICK BINS!!
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of your equipment, so it's hard to comment, and with all things in sound, it has to be heard first.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 7 months ago #9225 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic KICK BINS!!
I use smt in single version b&c loaded. I cross them up to 200 hz, I tryed lower...they can reproduce 150 120hz but.... a proper kick bin it's anoter beast.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds