KICK BINS!!

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9027 by saul
KICK BINS!! was created by saul
ok so been contemplating things for quite a while now...

when it comes to kick bins, ideally i'd like to xover at 70-80hz

but my dream plans involved an all in one midtop (15+10+1) - and this limited the size somewhat. I came to the conclusion that to have a kick section attatched, i could only go down as low as 90 ish, and i really wanted a bit more freedom in that region in terms of xover, and reaching excursion limits at high power.

in order to get the 60's and 70's, the volume has to increase somewhat, to lengthen the horn and other params.

so i suppose the point of this post is, what do you prefer to see - a slick all in one midtop that can do 90 hz

or seperate kick bins that have the freedom to cross lower if need be, but obviously add a lot more bulk to the system as a whole, and doesn't look as tidy.

and before anyone suggests reflex - short answer is no. Although they can do the job pretty well and have a huge bandwidth, i find them too "clicky" when lots of power is applied and they cant provide the 100hz punishment that i have heard from horn loaded stuff for obvious reasons, and since everything else is horn loaded, i'd like to keep it that way.

your all probably thinking, oh another one of these posts.... but i really would like to know what people think in terms of running the things and seeing the things

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9030 by bee
Replied by bee on topic KICK BINS!!
go for seperate kicks, yes more luggin around but, you will end up with a more fuller sounding system at all volumes. +1 for horns as well.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9031 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic KICK BINS!!
Making big boxes is a compromise, making small ones just so that they look good to you is even worse. A three in one cab is still possible to make with the correct 15" horn etc. Just don't concern yourself with size.
At the end of the day, you just have to decide how good you want to be.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9035 by saul
Replied by saul on topic KICK BINS!!

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: At the end of the day, you just have to decide how good you want to be.

haha this made me chuckle smiley36

yeah i suppose there is a conclusion to be made quite easily.

as you say tony, the all in one option could be done without concern for size, but then i might end up with midtops as tall as scoops, so might as well make life easier and split it up, and just array the mid tops

More
13 years 8 months ago #9037 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic KICK BINS!!
Saul, Remember TMS4's. I also had a cab called FR3 which basically had a BS500 on the bottom end, this was a 15, 10 and a 1". This is why I mentioned the all in one cabs. For ground stacked sound systems these days, it's more convenient to have the system in bits, considering peoples decaying strength and transport.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9038 by saul

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: considering peoples decaying strength

smiley36

yes i always wanted 4x FR3!! after seeing them in the old catalogue a few years back. never seen them about tho. did many get made? i imagine they were a heavy box!!

gonna ponder on this - see how big things get once i make the kick bin i want on the bottom.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9039 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic KICK BINS!!

saul wrote: ok so been contemplating things for quite a while now...

when it comes to kick bins, ideally i'd like to xover at 70-80hz

or seperate kick bins that have the freedom to cross lower if need be, but obviously add a lot more bulk to the system as a whole, and doesn't look as tidy.

something like this?

it's a tapped horn single 15" loaded, sit perfectly on a super

More
13 years 8 months ago #9042 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic KICK BINS!!

saul wrote:
so i suppose the point of this post is, what do you prefer to see - a slick all in one midtop that can do 90 hz

Different people/different tastes/different requirements.

After trying HD15s, 2x18 FK1 copies, 2x15 reflex, I also prefer Trap Midtop/Kick combo solution. Looks more modern/professional, and less like black box reggae soundsystem, with obligatory mountain of cabs. Unfortunately in some venues/gigs, looks are almost as important as the sound. smiley24

To some reggae dudes including me, smooth reflex 65-200hz at approx 98db, is more desirable than insane 90-150hz @105db you get from smaller 15" BPH horns, So MT121+15" reflex combo box for me, as you already know... smiley36

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

• saul
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9044 by saul

levyte357 wrote: So MT121+15" reflex combo box for me, as you already know... smiley36

so you don't think a 10 would......

oh wait, we've already been there smiley36

4x bs500s make you feel sick when they kick, because they kick hard! smiley32 - yes, they're big, but would thoroughly mince 4x reflex 15s, and can go low enough

ok all that aside, here's the next question then, when does a all in one mid top become too big?

my OTHER proposal is a ported horn - like martin H3 cabinets to be in control of size as well as low end extension. - obviously this could be a bit of a compromise in terms of SPL though

More
13 years 8 months ago #9046 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic KICK BINS!!

saul wrote: 4x bs500s make you feel sick when they kick, because they kick hard! smiley32 - yes, they're big, but would thoroughly mince 4x reflex 15s, and can go low enough

Yes, I suggested those to large system owner last week, and he said he doesn't need such aggressive kick/upper bass, he justs wants some upper bass present, but low mid is more important, and he does'nt like the sound of low mids through horn loaded cabs. He also wants 1x Midtop/low mid for every scoop, saying it sounds more balanced. I agree.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds