Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9018 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I say this because I can't believe that an inch here and an inch there in a change of design will make a difference to wave lengths that are 20-30 feet long.

Mr T, One of the main problems I see with some scoops, is that the sound just does'nt seem to leave the box, or even worse, lots of SPL at the rear of the cab, but as you walk away from the front, SPL roll off. Do you think this is down to build, or also compression ratio ?

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I've never mentioned performance or how the RX18 compares to anything else, mainly because I'm not really bothered one way or the other.

Easy for you to say, as everything else is judged in comparison to these :lol:
"Tuned up" correctly, they do the lows and the throw.

Also from my experience, if a scoop is designed as according to strict FLH principles, with uniform expansion rate, it just does'nt seem to have the extreme SPL of a scoop with a little neg expansion, like the Eminence 18 scoop, or shortman mini scoop. Your thoughts squire ?

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9019 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118
First point, Everything we see or touch has a resonant frequency. When you look at a chassis speaker spec., it states what frequency it is. This is the point where in the correct sealed box, the speaker would have its biggest dip in response because it has the biggest resistance. I've always looked at this as the speaker reacting against itself.
If a box is thin and basically rattles and shakes when power is put through it, it will have many resonant spots and when something vibrates, you must translate that into some kind of frequency, These other frequencies will either boost or cut through cancelation or the opposite. The end result will be an uneven response with lots of booming and lots of dead spots.
Second point. A front loaded horn will only emit sound from the front, hopefully in a very good way. whereas the scoop being a rear loaded horn gives you something from both sides. Most people know the theory with the scoop which radiates down to a given frequency and then the rear horn takes over with some cancelation on the way. But, at the same time you are still getting both sides of the speaker adding to the SPL
The good thing generally about the Scoop is that when used as a proper sub bass cab, the point of cancellation is usually out side of the x/o point.
That's my take on it anyway.
I'm about to receive 6 1851's for the RX18DC, so I shall let you know the result. These won't really have time to be heard here as they are being shipped to France.
The new boxes I'm developing at the moment are also being made to fit across the big Scoops There will soon be pictures, lots to see and lots to demo.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 8 months ago #9022 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118
so....the b&c 18sw115 as been dropped thanks to pd1851? or both are still testing in the testing phase...

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #9023 by saul
Replied by saul on topic Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118
bloody hell

just as hostile here as SP scoop section
smiley34

although SP is boring now, i think im gonna move to here

hey come on, most scoops sound dangerous with the PD1850. but what is actually trying to be achieved here. volume or quality?
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by saul.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #9024 by saul

levyte357 wrote:
Also from my experience, if a scoop is designed as according to strict FLH principles, with uniform expansion rate, it just does'nt seem to have the extreme SPL of a scoop with a little neg expansion, like the Eminence 18 scoop, or shortman mini scoop. Your thoughts squire ?

interesting, because last time i heard the eminence box, it seem to be "chuffing" quite a lot?
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by saul.

More
13 years 8 months ago #9025 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118

saul wrote: bloody hell

smiley34

no way....here we are in a more learning mood at all. Not noticed anytime some "mine is better than yours". just my 2 cent

More
13 years 8 months ago #9026 by saul

bitzo wrote:

saul wrote: bloody hell

smiley34

no way....here we are in a more learning mood at all. Not noticed anytime some "mine is better than yours". just my 2 cent

bravo to that! all for it. smiley20 smiley32

More
13 years 8 months ago #9032 by tony.a.s.s.
Bitzo, No one knows what the 1851 sounds like in anything yet because no one has them. Next week I receive the first six. These are for RX18DC's which are going to France. I have had a long chat with the R & D guy at PD and I think we are going to get a more versatile speaker, which will put it into more than one camp. Although I used 1850's in Reflex, horn loaded and scoop bins. I believe we will get a more rounded sound in whatever cab with the new 1851.
Regarding the B and C 18SW115, so far, I have found it to a formidable speaker. It's in the RX jnr's at the moment, just waiting to leap out and perform.

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #9040 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Scoop Icons - RX18 & S118

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I have had a long chat with the R & D guy at PD and I think we are going to get a more versatile speaker, which will put it into more than one camp. Although I used 1850's in Reflex, horn loaded and scoop bins. I believe we will get a more rounded sound in whatever cab with the new 1851.

Tony, did your chat with the R & D guy at PD give you any insight on how the new 1851 will peform in standard RX18s and S118s?

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
13 years 8 months ago #9051 by tony.a.s.s.
Not really, the only thing I thought was it will do more than the old 1850. For me, in spite of what anyone tells me, I have to hear it in the cab before I really know. My speakers are being dispatched today, so I will soon know something. Although I will only know the difference, if any, between the two speakers in the RX18DC as these are the only large scoops I have in the factory at the moment. Although I will be able to test in the RXjnr's.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds