Micro Hog :think:

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 6 days ago #8490 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Micro Hog :think:

Jake_Fielder wrote: Nice work! its good to see a project like this, are you going to RTA it at any point?

If and when it's good enough I'll bring it up for one of the meets, someone who knows waht they're doing can measure it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 6 days ago #8491 by nickyburnell
Anyhow, found time to try the 18b600, faster, a little more musical up to a point, could get away with 120hz.
Then I compared it to the same driver in 200l reflex. The scoop is lots louder per given input, really much louder, but the quality of the reflex is just streets ahead. Anything over 60hz and the reflex is hi-fi compared to the couloured sound of the scoop.

Experiment over for me, as to get the quality for ALL sorts of music kicks will be needed, may as well build a full size hog if that's the case.

Now where's me plans book..

More
13 years 11 months ago #8657 by staiper
Replied by staiper on topic Micro Hog :think:
Back again smiley1 ..
Had have short rest in hospital - reason: Q fever, now at 100% power again
(eheh.. this become tradition through last two years ... or I am becoming a bit like ...

Curently fidling aronud one "tapped" idea - preliminary dimensions; ~105-110cm height (or width if laid on side :) ) , ~55cm width and ~65cm depth.
Intended to cover ~40 - 130Hzrange @ average 103db/w/m with single 18" unit (~to replace double 18-er).
Cabinet design.. to be simple (as possible) DIY friendly (as always :angel: ) with some ideas implemented to even pressure on speaker cone and attempt to improve upper range definition.. reduce possible horn "honk".
Have to see how it finally will come out .. when plans are finished will be available for test builders (if any get interested smiley4 )

More
13 years 11 months ago #8658 by bee

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 11 months ago #8659 by nickyburnell
smiley1

More
13 years 11 months ago #8660 by staiper
Finished smiley38

Final dimensions are H 1052, W 576, D 618mm. overall volume ~375liters
Some drivers I have tried to sim and look very promising: B&C 18TBX100, 18Sound 18LW1400, 18NLW9300, RCF L18P300..

Single cabinet usable range 38-160Hz (44-145Hz -3db).
In design I choose to sacrifice a bit of low extension to get a bit smaller cabinet (375 L) pretty manageable, truckpack friendly...
For most live gigs or I think that proper 40-45Hz low extension is more than enough and 5-8Hz in most cases is not worthy of additional ~150-200liters of cabinet.. however if design on testings performs as intended/expected for any larger show normally will be used in multiples which will restore a good chunk of "sacrificed" low extension (for example stack of four will have -10db at 33Hz - enough smiley23 ? )

Design is made to be easy to prepare (cut pannels) and build. Many panels are dimensioned to share exactly same dimensions as some other panels of cabinet to ease up cutting-planning but design is not compromised by that, most of cuts are straight 90degrees + few smaller panels with 45 and 60degree cuts.
Cabinet provides symmetric pressure loading on booth sides of cone which becomes important at maximum power levels applied.

Again to note; THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN ... I think that this will perform right by all means but can't guarantee anything before real model build-and-test.

At the moment plans will not be relased in public but are available if someone is interested for test.

Wood+will+time ..Any takers? smiley4

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 11 months ago #8661 by nickyburnell
Got a hog to finish, I'll do an MDF one then. Be a couple of weeks.

More
13 years 11 months ago #8664 by staiper
Hello Nick,

..please PM me your e-mail adress

Edit: Oh sorry, .. I have jumped in Micro Hog thread with this not such closely related thing.. did not wanted to open new thread for this and at least was a bit related to initial idea on topic - to make "universal" good sounding bass cab to go up a bit higher to avoid use of additional kick cab..
So that reminded me on one of my earlier designs which was intended for use in line array system I have designed few years ago. that cabinet was significantly larger so I have redesigned it to fulfill (theoreticaly-at the moment smiley23 ) current idea. :angel: ehhh now explained

Best wishes

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 11 months ago #8709 by nickyburnell
Very busy, MDF cut though.
Also loan Fane 1000 on its way from Paulie Paul (thanks smiley27 )
Hopefully later in the week.

More
13 years 11 months ago #8713 by staiper

nickyburnell wrote: Very busy, MDF cut though.
Also loan Fane 1000 on its way from Paulie Paul (thanks smiley27 )
Hopefully later in the week.

:shock: .. ohh that was fast
Also give some powerful breaking in time for driver (if it is new one) - deep sine wave sweeps or some good rumbling tracks.
From few taped horns I have played with I have find similar thing as with RLH-s , they really like driver to sing in and "familiarise" with cabinet through at least few hours before they can show full capabilities. smiley37

In this cabinet Fane1000 will be safe of cone owerexcursion even if pumped with some serious RMS watts. Up to 1300 RMS watts per driver looks completely safe excursion-wise (driver is declared 1000W A.E.S.) .., I think that on normal play (music) even thermally this must not make any problems.

smiley20

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds