Micro Hog :think:

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 2 weeks ago - 14 years 2 weeks ago #8418 by nickyburnell
Micro Hog :think: was created by nickyburnell
Many people have 18" drivers hanging around, sometimes in reflex cabs and are looking for more spl, somtimes just some old drivers.
For me the problem with scoops is the need for kick bins, same for mini scoops. What's needed is a cab that can go to 110hz at least.
The size of many mini scoops is also not good, too big in depth for normal pub/club weekind warriors. Finally mini scoops are lousy to stack, too high for mid tops in lots of venues, too low on their sides.
The EV T18 is a wonderful sized cab, it stacks nicely but we all know it is a bit limited in the below 70hz stuff, it's also out of fashion, shame, it's a one man lift.
So the remit is something with more spl than a reflex, small chamber to look after all those old drivers we're gong to use but able to do 50hz, maybe 40 minus a few db, who knows.
Back in the day there was no softwware for this stuff, people experimented, some were good some not.
Enter the Staipier MICRO scoop. This is a brilliant cab with many people singing it's praises, if I had some suitable 15's lying around I'd build some. That's the problem though, suitable 15's don't come around s/h cheap. Many people have old Fane, Celestion, Emminence or even JBL's in cabs they want to change. I know one bloke who has 8 XB's with no home. 18's come up cheap, £75 will usually buy you a good driver.
So here goes. I have no idea what it will sound like, could be a disaster, I've left the extra bits off the rear baffle as they can be added later (the litle lips that protrude, marked H in the plans), might not need them, we'll see. The only other mod is that the section A is 140mm not 150. This was just because that's what I had lying around, shouldn't matter a damn.
Build quality is strong but it is built in a hurry with scraps, so doesn't represent anything but a prototype. If it works I'll do some slowly and nicely in ply.
It s 30mm deeper than normal to accomodate grill & foam. If it works this one is getting carpeted for local pub.

Not for true dub heads btw, just normal folk :lol:
The Stapiier Micro Scoop with 18" driver:[attachment=2:zc62vnut]<!-- ia2 -->PICT0075.JPG<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment:zc62vnut][attachment=1:zc62vnut]<!-- ia1 -->PICT0076.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:zc62vnut][attachment=0:zc62vnut]<!-- ia0 -->PICT0077.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:zc62vnut]
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 2 weeks ago by nickyburnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8419 by bee

• heathrow_b_line
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8420 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic Micro Hog :think:
i bet it will work well

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8423 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Micro Hog :think:
microhog-->piggy smiley2
keep us updated, really interesting idea...

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8425 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Micro Hog :think:
I have an old Kapp18, Fane 18b 600 and eventually 186 (need to re-cone) to try. Should cover all the cheaper spectrum.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8441 by bitzo
Nick... have you measured this microhog during your last rta session?

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8443 by nickyburnell
Not loaded yet.
Shall trust my ears, test tones and me.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #8450 by bitzo
should be very interesting facing hog and this cab loaded with same driver..

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 1 week ago #8485 by nickyburnell
Loaded it today, in a hurry again. A lowley Kappa 18 500. 3" coil, steel basket.
Remember I wanted this cab to go up to 100hz plus with no honk.
Firstly cone control was brilliant, playing some techno-house-rave 25hz hpf it was getting 540 chinese watts, just on the red.
Test tones: HPF off. 20hz made the cone try to take off, BUT is wasn't in danger of blowing, low watts . 30 hz was audable, not really very nice but it was there.
40hz had the cone very still to the eye, any eq boost @ 40 made it louder, didn't lose control. 50 up were all OK.
Listening to stuff I thought it was very efficient. Roger Mogales 30hz breakbeat track was nice. House was nice as was Abbasi and Zion, the house full of energy.
Playing some live stuff, M People live session, really showed the efficency, the bass guitar overpowering and a bit honky, typical scoop, not really suited but OK.
110 hz is when the honk really starts to be nasty, 105 and you get away with it. this bin can be used without kick, just.
Remember though, this is an old Kappa. Need to get the 186's in for re-cone to really tell the tell.
In all, it's small ish and very efficient, can be done on less than two sheets but has nowhere to put handles on the sides easily.
Going to add the little lip to the rear baffle next week and damp the chamber, I recon that 120hz is possible, then being truly a three way system.

More
14 years 1 week ago #8488 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic Micro Hog :think:
Nice work! its good to see a project like this, are you going to RTA it at any point?

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds