Yesterday was a good day because we completed the new RX18 DC. Today was also good because I tested the new cab and also completed the new upper bass cab.
Pictures are from my phone. I also have the comparative measurements between the RX18 and the new cab. They were done in 5HZ increments. I have it in grid form at the moment, later I will make it into a graph, albeit by hand, but it will be good enough to understand. The new cab is predictably heavier in the 30 -40 range by at least 3db. Nothing more to say until the figures appear. Only to say the cab will be worth making and I'm happy.
Looks like I've cracked it. The cab on the right is the new one. It is 120mm deeper than the original
I will now try and upload the other photos before tomorrow. oh it is tomorrow. Happy Christmas everyone.
Happy Christmas. Looking at the fronts and comparing to Mykey and Staips versions of minis's, the new one follows more of Staips idea of non sloping panel under baffle, the old Mykeys traditional idea.
ALl done before Mykey & Staip of course, just an observation.
Lokking as lovely as ever.....
It's a 15. It will perform harder, tighter and quicker than an 18. I'm hoping the new 15 will double as a stand alone bass cab as well as upper bass for the new scoop. This is a cab I never thought I would design again. If the new cab works as well as the scoop, I will probably attempt to do a new mid hi cab to go on top of everything else. Bass cabs I can do in a day or two, but mid cabs take me ages. The MX600 was worked on more or less for three months before I was happy with it. The problem for me with trying to make a new cab is the fact that I want it to be better than my last efforts, otherwise, what's the point.
Nicky, regarding ideas, There are no particular ideas in the new scoop other than working from inside co-ordinates. The change of angle comes because I have lengthened the chamber and "A" has to meet "B". The underneath bracing will need lengthening to allow for the increased length of horn.