Scoop v Something else.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 3 months ago #7099 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Scoop v Something else.
Believe it or not, there are people in the business of producing speakers that haven't heard of PD, especially abroad. PD as a company are very small, and have limited production. I can't remember the last time I saw any ads or marketing of any kind from PD. There's probably more money in producing Fane for the Barnes family than PD.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7111 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Scoop v Something else.
what do you suggest for longthrow horn loading? I don't mean the brand (however is so appreciated smiley2 ) but the specs.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 3 months ago #7115 by tony.a.s.s.
As the years have gone by, I have distanced myself from many speakers. This was for practical reasons. When you design a complete range of cabs, whether it's a good or bad idea, it is best to try and stick with one particular make of chassis speaker. I was lucky to discover B and C many years ago. It was a range I could work with. There are a lot of good speakers out there, but when it comes to a logical range for many different cabinets, B and C are hard to beat. If you are building a small one off system, you can afford to mix and match, as I have done in the past. I have stuck with B and c because the supply chain is simple and dependable, and the range seems to keep on improving rear after year. I am also happy to buy from Italy rather than China. I have written this so that people understand why I don't comment about other speakers. I can only talk about what I know, or think I know.
Anyway, after all that, you should consider the B and C 15PL100. for a horn loaded cab. It's the one I will use in my new upper bass cab. (I think)

More
14 years 3 months ago #7116 by bitzo
Many thanks, another item to add on my wishlist. This model is still available but seems b&c replaced this model, in your opinion the 15nw100 could be a valid "neo" alternative? Just to remain on my land I seen this 15" from rcf, neo too, lf15n401

cheers, bitzo

More
14 years 3 months ago #7120 by david
Replied by david on topic Scoop v Something else.
a double 18" reflex cab like b&c sub218 with 18tbx100 would be about the same size of my single 18" hog scoop with same b&c driver. i guess it would be louder and deeper, but you would need 2 x 18" not 1 and more power from the amplifier, so it would be a more expensive option, even if less wood is used on the reflex cab.
actually it took a lot of time to build an hog scoop, while i can build a 18" reflex in a few hours...

More
14 years 3 months ago #7121 by bitzo
horn=less woofer and amps but more wood, time and woodskills

David benvenuto su FSP e auguri.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 3 months ago #7123 by tony.a.s.s.
There will always be debate concerning "Scoops vs Reflex cabs". If you forget about the money side of things, you can get down to your basic requirements. If transport and space is an issue, a 2X18 is probably the answer, especially if you feel that you have to cram all the power into a small space.
Technically speaking, having a large horn cab being driven by a single speaker, but using the same amount of 18's as your 2x18 reflex cabs will always be better.
For many years I have gone along with the idea that it is only practical to have 500 -1000 watts coming out of any single speaker or cab. Acoustically, you should spread the start of the wave front over a wider area as possible. It is far better to have four 500 watt speakers pushing air than a single 2000 watt speaker.
All horns will stamp their mark on your sound, and it's true to say that a reflex cab, properly tuned will give the most accurate sound from a reproduction point of view. But, with many sound systems, accurate sound is not the priority. When I was on the Rave scene in the '80s, At every gig, my system was analized flat, and then I would crank up the bass and the hf until I was happy with the sound. A flat response would not cut it.
One last point, the scoop, by virtue of its horn will throw further than a reflex cab. If you are in a position to have 16 scoops as apposed to 8 reflex cabs, then there's only one way to go.
No golden rules here, just my thoughts on the subject.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7125 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Scoop v Something else.
Tony, your way of eq'ing the rave scene was the only way. Too many times I/we were involved with big systems that were run by band people. There was a big pile of Martin at Slough Centle once, ran flat and was useless. Next week Langley had SIX T18's in there which blew the Martin rig away. All down to the understanding of the, "rave" eq set-up. A lot of Court stuff was around at the time, run very flat with just 15's on the bottom, no good at all. 90hz and 10k/16k boosts used to do it for the techno when using T18's and Fane/Fane bullet mid tops. We ate a lot of Wembley BLines though :lol:

More
14 years 3 months ago #7129 by super-hero
Replied by super-hero on topic Scoop v Something else.
Who used to supply the big scoop rig at Slough Centre.

That was the the loudest thing I had ever heard at the time.

I\'m not an animal. I\'m a human being.

www.phase-audio.co.uk

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds