Scoop v Something else.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #6408 by tony.a.s.s.
Scoop v Something else. was created by tony.a.s.s.
There will always be much talk about the scoop, who makes the best one, who makes the lightest one, who makes the heaviest one etc.
A while back I built some cabs that exported and the brief was to have more power handling than a scoop.
I built a 2 x 18 the same size as the RX18, except it was made from 25mm ply with a 50mm baffle and 75mm square bracing internally. It terminated at 4 ohms. As you might expect, it was louder than the single 18 scoop, when plugged into the same amp. At source, it also went deeper.
The point I make here is that, for anyone that is interested, the performance of a scoop can be easily beaten. The 2x18 is easier to build, but it is heavy. But then, all good boxes are. If you are going to put 2000 watts into a cab, it needs to be shake proof. 2 1x18's equalling the same dimension as the large cab would have the same effect.
One more thing I should add. These cabs were straight reflex cabs.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #6413 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Scoop v Something else.
I read somewhere that a lot of Jamacan sounds had given up on the scoop. With todays drivers the 2x18 get's my vote.
There is the heritage bit though, nice to see old school stuff be it cars to speakers. For clash though, surley the scoop has had it's day? That's presuming the clash is about sound, not style...

More
14 years 6 months ago #6417 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Scoop v Something else.
Just IMHO and not so acoustics issue but if you don't have a stable setup in a yard....a double scoop is an error, even a 2x15" or 2x18". I have a double super scooper and I'm starting to hate it. Not so portable.
To me the scoop external dimension is the maximum for a single cab in a "nomad" rig.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #6424 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Scoop v Something else.
One more thing to consider, a 2x18 is more cost effective when you consider size, power handling and acoustic output. It is also easier to build whether it's a heavy cab or not. Personally, for me cab with 2000 watts going into it, would not be built with anything less than 25mm ply.

More
14 years 6 months ago #6445 by bitzo
how about recessing the lower part of the baffle? In this way the cab loose some liters to compression chamber and some cm in the initial part of the horn but get a bigger mouth and get the tapped horn effect....something like hogscoop but less deeper but higher.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #6446 by tony.a.s.s.
I guess the point about the scoop bin is, that if you modify the main structure of the cab, it's not a scoop. It just becomes a different bass cab. I think many who have had the chance to compare may agree that a simple bass reflex cab is going to give the most accurate sound. Whether you want that is just a matter of taste. Many people enjoy listening to a coloured sound on their Hi Fi. I guess it's the same with sound systems.

More
14 years 6 months ago #6449 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Scoop v Something else.
Yes, I'm one that likes a bit of colour. Not too sure I'm into this flat response stuff. Some frequecies are nice to the ear some arn't. In dance music bringing the nice ones to the front is good IMO. Did read a similar argument once when a man claimed his scoops were, "Instruments",making their own sound, not reproducing.
Each to their own. HI-FI is a bit different though, nice and flat for classical that's for sure

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #6450 by tony.a.s.s.
My Point about colour is having a cab that dictates the dominant sound. I don't associate this with using your graphic to do something else. Back in the days of Rave, I would always pink noise the system flat and then crank the bass and the top end up. A flat response would just not cut it.

More
14 years 6 months ago #6451 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Scoop v Something else.

nickyburnell wrote: Yes, I'm one that likes a bit of colour. Not too sure I'm into this flat response stuff. Some frequecies are nice to the ear some arn't. In dance music bringing the nice ones to the front is good IMO. Did read a similar argument once when a man claimed his scoops were, "Instruments",making their own sound, not reproducing.

Nick, That has always been my feelings about scoops in that they are coloured in a way that seems to have empathy with the style of music generally played through them.
I personally have never had much time for them but a recent night out with some "Hogs" pretty near changed my mind.

Tony

More
14 years 6 months ago #6453 by bitzo
I didn't hear an hog, but I'm really curious about that...I simmed it with B&c18tbx100 and with pd1850, very different beaviour. With pd less spl but have a lower lowend, lower than eminence scoop, cow (any mk), and superscooper. With b&c18tbx100 less flatter, less lowend but...an amazing about of db.

Somone have some feedback about different hog loading?

Cheers, bitzo

P.S. Tony W. I tested the bms in my altec 811 horn sound amazing smiley20

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds