FSP-ARRAY

More
15 years 7 months ago #4302 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic FSP-ARRAY

Deadbeat wrote: Sounds cool.

Am actually under development with my F2-esque system, maybe we can do it parallel style?

I have a vision of a rack in which people can mix and match whatever components they want to put in. Like the F2.

Maybe we could make it ordinary 19" rack...would solve quite a few problems. Speakers buildt into flightcases [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img].

Could be interesting but....what about phase issue? However driving in each components into different range of frequencies should be the right solution.
Another fact is space consuption. I mean an array of rackable cabs it's a good solution in order to change each element (if broken or regarding certain needs) but there's a waste space, mid and highs don't need rear chamber so you could use this space for bassline or fo porting.
Edited by: bitzo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4304 by bitzo
here's a raw idea (damned preview you have to click to view the correct image)
[img
[img

Edited by: bitzo

More
15 years 7 months ago #4305 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic FSP-ARRAY
Nice idea!

I've actually though about this one long and hard....

It's not a proper rack like the F2 is, but more of a trapezoidal spaceframe. Any spare room will be taken up either by a small crossover unit or an amp/DSP combo a la Meyer's.
The way i've envisioned the concept, it's quite space saving...
I intend to design it so it sound good run straight from an amp - that is, everything is in phase. It's quite an ambitious project - I'm currently looking at how some companies steer their beams using DSP.

The beauty of the F2 system is that you can configure a box just to be a double 12 box, to be just full of compression drivers, etc. With no real phase or delay issues.

It does have it's shortcomings though as you have aptly noticed - I'm trying to address these as I really like the idea of modularity (and I need an excuse to brush up on welding skills later this year).

PS:

Use the offset driver tool to sim that ported bit on your design, if you didn't know.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 7 months ago #4307 by bitzo
I agree with you modularity it's a very smart concept. It's applicable easily with mids and tops. For the bass section there's so much issue to consider. However do you want to keep 19" width?

More
15 years 7 months ago #4308 by deadbeat
Probably not when I think about it. While it would be cool, the space-frame idea and module unit idea quickly overthrew it in my mind.

Anyone know any modern common truck pack dimensions?

With the modular system, ideally the bass unit and midtop unit would both be around the same size. I'm thinking of a space-frame for both though.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #4309 by bitzo

Deadbeat wrote:
Anyone know any modern common truck pack dimensions?

I think we have to consider the europallet dimension.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4310 by deadbeat
The most important bits really are the frontal dimensions I think. How many on here (apart from the obvious few) own flying gear? Should it be flyable?

I've got my own ideas for dispersion - it should try to be 60 degrees horizontal. That way we can use three to get 180 degree coverage. Sound good? any comments, ideas?

Now for some pallet dims:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #4313 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic FSP-ARRAY
The magic number for 4 wide on a standard truck is 580mm.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4316 by bitzo
Right 580 mm, so dimension for standard basic cabs may be depth 580 width 580 heights 1160?
60 degree for single unit it's so good. It fits with the most efficient horn 60-90-120. What about the heights of a single unit? May be 2U or multiple of 1U of a rack?

More
15 years 7 months ago #4317 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic FSP-ARRAY
It's only the width you need to worry about. Depth and height isn't an issue.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds