FSP-ARRAY

More
15 years 8 months ago #3524 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic FSP-ARRAY
I think we need to split this thread a bit. (NOTE THE NEW THREAD). Due to people thinking this is an LA cab by honest mistake.

Disco Stu, thanks for that suggestion, a ported horn may be the way to go, with a 15 or 12. for the bass end, as I'm sure Heathrow would want this cab to work in singles (all the horns already in the box).

Does the EAW KF850 actually go to 75hz? I don't know.

About piezos, I think a klipsch style one (vertical concave) would be a nice cheap alternative to a few bullets, for those who like the sound. But that's another topic.

EDIT: the synergy idea is sorta still on.

EDIT again: Directivity for both boxes would be 60 degrees horizontal, not sure about vertical. It would mean that 3 would hopefully make a half cylindrical wave.

The synerclone would use 1x 1" (probably a BMS, Tom Danly has mentioned that some give very spherical looking wavefronts at the top end), 4x5/6.5 mids, and either 2 12" in the horn or 2 12" 4th order BP loaded with driver firing either side.

Yet another edit:
Who here is good at designing complex passive xovers?

EDIT AGAIN:

Originally posted by Tom Danley

Hi

It is true that you need a spherical wavefront to drive a conical corn
without HOM’s. There are a few 1 inch drivers that can do this well up
to about 60 –70 degrees, like a BMS 4550 and others of that geometry.
Also, several 18 sound compression drivers are very good. At least one
1.4 inch drivers can on narrower horns.

You can see the real problem if you plot out the path lengths in the
phase plug, they generally produce a converging wave front at summation.

The up side is, a conical horn if driven properly has (down to some
size angle relationship) constant directivity and truly emulates a
patch of spherical radiation.

Best,

Tom

That's what we'll probably use on a synergy concept. I have also looked at several 5"/6" woofers and have found a few suitable drivers:
BMS 5N155
Ciare 6.38 MR3
Eminence LA6-CBMR (closed back )
18sound 6ND410
Beyma 5MP60/N
Beyma 605ND
All of B&C's 6" (3 of them)

I include this list for completeness, I haven't obviously heard them all. I think the 5" drivers will be the better choice.

BTW, did you know that USSPEAKER.com is going to stock Faital Pro components soon?
</font></font>
Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3540 by tommysb
Replied by tommysb on topic FSP-ARRAY
You can get to 70 with a 10" :)

More
15 years 8 months ago #3560 by deadbeat
Thanks tommy, I'm actually simming the MF response, then tackling the LF monster.

Pat bateman on diyaudio has shown that you can sim the MF reponse on hornresp reasonably accurately with a 3 section conical horn, the first section being the hole (18mm/15mm length of course, depends on wood), the second being the main bit of the flare controlling the 60x60 dispersion in our case, and the third section mouth termination, with a disp angle around 1.4-1.6x of the omain bit, Tom Danley has pointed out that this should roughly cover the last 1/3rd of the horn. The driver's parameters have to be stuck together (eg, 4x sd, etc), as well as do the holes.

Still thinking whether to whack in the LF or simply lump the two drivers in a 4th order BP. Both would be compact, but produce different shaped cabs.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 8 months ago #3561 by deadbeat
Just to give an idea about the LF, I've put up a sketch. It only shows possible very roughly driver placement (the horn will have a different flare blah blah), nothing else is done seriously in the drawing (really.). So you get the idea of two BP4s on either side of a Unity, and a synergy for comparison. Does anyone have any thoughts on either arrangement or want to comment?

Here:

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 8 months ago #3816 by deadbeat
Anybody used/heard one of these? Ecler CKL, actually two cabs (15 + 10 + 1). Curiously similar to a sketch I had once (only with a more advanced midtop section consisting of a radial phase plug with a comp embedded in it).

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #4279 by deadbeat
Like this:

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #4285 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic FSP-ARRAY
what about a jbl4512 with a 15" driver and revised porting in the bass ection. For the mid a 12" coaxial horn like dynacord f12cwh but....the compression driver optimized to works like a phase plug, just for decrease the throat chamber volume.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4286 by deadbeat
Sounds cool.

Am actually under development with my F2-esque system, maybe we can do it parallel style?

I have a vision of a rack in which people can mix and match whatever components they want to put in. Like the F2.

Maybe we could make it ordinary 19" rack...would solve quite a few problems. Speakers buildt into flightcases [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img].

Speaking of the F2, does anyone have any info on paper diaphragm 'compression drivers'?

I know that quite a few supposed 'large exit' compression drivers are in fact paper cones on super high compression assemblies.

Apart from the benefits by this - I am interested by the planar output of compression drivers for certain purposes...

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 7 months ago #4292 by kieran
Replied by kieran on topic FSP-ARRAY

the only bass in the village

More
15 years 7 months ago #4294 by deadbeat

kieran wrote:
Have you read this?

www.jblpro.com/PD5000/PDF/CMCD_TechNote.pdf

Thanks. Just what I was searching for. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Beranek\'s law

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds