Cubo Kick

More
11 months 3 weeks ago #25042 by Damianvick
Replied by Damianvick on topic Cubo Kick
Hello Mr. Cubo, 

Firstly, I want to thank you for your work and your commitment to helping all of us build our own rigs!

I built a couple of cubo kicks a year or two ago for obvious reasons (more kick!)... and they look so good, I modelled the rest of the rig's grills to match. 

I live in Australia where the choice of drivers is limited and expensive, but ended up acquiring a pair of second hand JBL 2226's. While they have some effect, they're clearly worn out and are not doing the cabinet justice.

I am faced with the choice of re-coning them, or replacing them. To that end, I have found someone local selling a pair of 18sound 15w1200's in good condition (specs are attached). 

Would these be suitable for cubo kicks, or am i better off having the 2226's refurbished?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #25043 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo Kick
The benefit of refurbishing the 2226's is that you know what they sound like, the 15LW1200 is different as it's more of a horn oriented driver. It might drop a dB below 100 Hz but loads the horn better. As it's a high BL horn driver it can sound a bit more aggressive but as Cubo Kick is a bit more horn than reflex it's a good choice.

Great picture, goes in the yearbook!

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #25044 by Damianvick
Replied by Damianvick on topic Cubo Kick
You're a legend Cubo, thanks for your time and expertise!

After seeing your reply, I bought and fitted up the 18sound drivers this morning as I managed to pick them up for $500aud (vs $700+ to have the 2226's re-coned)... and with a party in 2 weeks I was keen to get them online.

They don't disappoint!

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #25057 by DevFelix
Replied by DevFelix on topic Cubo Kick
Hello Mr. Cubo,
is the the box Speaker 15LB100-8W from Thomann useable for this enclosure?

Greetings

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #25058 by .giuseppe .
Replied by .giuseppe . on topic Cubo Kick
  hi cube, thank you very much for the excellent work you do, I am Italian and while searching in the various forums I found your projects and read many of your topics, I would like to make a 15 cm football cube, I wanted to ask if it is possible to do the width of the cube is 45 cm. (if I make it 45 cm wide do I have to change anything else? height, depth? ) thanks for everything, please, I'm ignorant on the subject so explain to me well I USE so well I USE so many technical terms, I have to combine it with a ''M SO CONFUSED
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by .giuseppe ..

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #25060 by Cubo15

is the the box Speaker 15LB100-8W from Thomann useable for this enclosure?

The 15LB100 is a good all round driver, it's geared a bit more towards bass than kick but they'll work in both Cubo 15 and Cubo Kick 15. In the latter for 80 - 200 Hz.

I would like to make a 15 cm football cube, I wanted to ask if it is possible to do the width of the cube is 45 cm.

Hi Giuseppe,

Yes, you can make Cubo Kick 45 cm wide, leave the height, depth and everything else the same. I would cross it around 100 Hz to the fbt 115SA. Do you know what loudspeaker you want to use in Cubo Kick?

Best regards Cubo

Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Cubo15.

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #25061 by .giuseppe .
Replied by .giuseppe . on topic Cubo Kick
as a woofer I had read that .....celestion FTR4080F 8 OHMit is OK
 (Do you recommend a woofer, which fits into the speaker without creating problems of modifying the enclosure, which does not hit its magnet on the frame when closed, perhaps without spending a lot of money) I read that I should feel the blow to the chest from 120 Hz in then, right? so if fbt I put it at 100hz at how many hz should I put the football cube? What are the advantages at 45cm, and what disadvantages do I have at 45cm?can I add handles?, what if I want to add a built-in amplifier?
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by .giuseppe ..

More
7 months 6 days ago #25062 by Cubo15
The Celestion 15-FTR4080F is a good choice for 45 cm width.The lower limit of Cubo Kick at 45 cm wide raises to 90 Hz, the upper limit is usually extended up to 220 Hz. So a little bit less low end and a bit more top end in return.

If you cross the fbt at 100 Hz, that means you also cross the kick at 100 Hz. For the best result experiment with the crossover frequnecy till it sounds right, typically between 80 - 100 Hz. The blow to the chest is indeed centered around 120 Hz.

Celestion doesn't have a picture with dimensions for the 15-FTR, so it's difficult to predict but usually the magnet doesn't touch the rear panel. If it does let me know by then as the problem is easily solved.

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #25065 by terrellhicks85
Replied by terrellhicks85 on topic Cubo Kick
if i need to resize these with either width or height to 22 7/8", how do they best couple? port to port? horn to horn? or vertical? or does it matter? ill be using some black widow kadt 1s that i already have and theyll be crossed from 100 to 2-300 between my subs and tops. thank you. 

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #25066 by Cubo15
If you need just one dimension altered, the width is by far the easiest (just reduce it). All coupling options you mentioned will give small deviations, 0.75 dB less here, +1.1 dB there, etc. It's nothing to loose sleep over, just experiment till you find something that is to your liking ;)

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds