question-circle Building a mini rig, HELP

10 years 3 months ago #20883 by Cookie
Replied by Cookie on topic Building a mini rig, HELP
Could you also suggest a driver for the THAM 15 ? would be alot of help remember price is a big factor haha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #20884 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Building a mini rig, HELP
in my big rig i use 4x cubo15 and they are Kappa Pro LF loaded and i like the way they sound for kick and sub... the tham15 on the other hand is a slightly different beast. not better or worse, just different. i cant suggest a driver to you as i dont use them (at the moment) but if you nip along to the site of the designer he has a few suggestions and even a few graphs to show you what he has tested and what other people have tested. but it is a folded horn so you'd be looking for a driver that works well in horns as appose to reflex.

anyway..... a little reserch on the tham15 and drivers should steer you in the right direction.

saying all this, depending on budget.. i get my amps from MATRIX AMPLIFICATION and a few drivers from TONY WILKES on these very forums. so, you might want to ask Tony about a good single driver for a single tham15. i might even suggest a 4ohm version as appose to an 8ohm one so you can use the amp to its fullest extent and then you could pick a slightly cheaper amp as an amp that does 800/800 @ 8ohms will be more expensive (if buying from the same brand) then a 800/800 @ 4ohms.

i.e.... if your two top speakers are 300w each @8ohms hooking them up to a single channel on your amp would mean the amp would need to be able to drive a 600w load @4ohms (its just how the math works with these things) so using this principle means you would aim for an amp that did about 600 per channel at 4ohms but because it 600watts @4ohms the power it would use to drive a single speaker on the other channel be it an 8ohm sub... the power rating normally is dropped to, say 400w as the load is 8ohms not 4 like the other channel.

soooooooooo..... if you bought a sub driver that was a 4ohm driver instead of a 8ohm driver you would then be using that channel on the amp to its fullest extent.

...let me know if all that make bugger all sense and i waffled way to much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cookie

10 years 3 months ago #20885 by mini-mad

no time today... sorry... heres an old pic of my mycro6's ontop of one of Tony Wilkes' Q12 subs.

10 years 3 months ago #20887 by Cookie
Nice one mate, not waffle at all! some of it might go straight over my head admittedly but its great to get the information :)

no worries pal, those mycro6's certainly are elegant :P

10 years 3 months ago #20888 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Building a mini rig, HELP
They are beautiful and really compact. Nice and loud too... get them up nice and high on tripods and then a tham12 on the floor and it makes for an easy system.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10 years 3 months ago #20889 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Re:Building a mini rig, HELP
I can walk you through alot of the basics... throw in a few pics and stuff to make getting your head around it easier to.......
Are you building your top speakers as well?

sent from my 'droid as im at work

10 years 3 months ago #20893 by Cookie
Yeer nice! i bet they doo,
I would really appreciate you to run me through the basics, i am so keen to get started! just not sure were to start haha, well i might biuld the tops as well but to save money like you suggested i might buy some of those 12" + 1"

10 years 3 months ago #20895 by mini-mad
building tops isnt ness. the way to save money.... you do get a big sence of achivment wen you do but its not always the cheapest option.

its all to do with your buget. £500 will get you a very very cheap system all 2nd hand and wont ever be "good enuff" £1000 and you get a better top end and amp with i nice DIY sub anything more then that and it will just be a bigger and lighter system with more boxes and processing.

soooo.... how much you looking at?

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #20896 by mini-mad
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration