question-circle Building a mini rig, HELP

10 years 3 months ago #20872 by Cookie
Building a mini rig, HELP was created by Cookie
Hia guys, i was hoping someone would help me out, i want to build a mini rig, for the up and coming summer :woohoo: but i am having some problems i see people online saying you can't have this driver in this cabinet and this cabinet with these cabinets :sick: soo this is what i wanted to ask, can i build two MHB-30's with relatively cheap drivers around 50 to 100 pounds, with two cubo 12's again with relatively cheap drivers, not forgetting the mid & high range which would be provided by my friend's wharfdale pros evp series something like 300 to 400 watts. I am very new to this and am just trying to figure it all out, if all of this is complete **** then tell me and put me on the right rig path ;) thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #20873 by mini-mad
Replied by mini-mad on topic Building a mini rig, HELP
mini-rig?

how mini is mini?..... i have a mini-rig consisting of 2x mycro6 and a single THAM12. it truely is a mini rig and puts out quite a noice for something so small. in a room of 50 peeps no probs.... outside... it could do with another THAM12 if im honest. its all nice and compact and fits in a taxi if im ever stuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cookie

10 years 3 months ago #20875 by Cookie
Replied by Cookie on topic Building a mini rig, HELP
Well when i say mini, Im really only thinking about the price I don't have much trouble with space, I want some speakers which put out a nice amount of noise but doesn't put a whole in my pocket :P Could u give me a rough price of how much u spent on your mini-rig ?

The plan is, to have parties in a shipping container, which would be awesome!! I really like bass so would love to have some bins which really move some air :D preferably with 12inch drivers again because of money haha

Thanks for replying dude!

10 years 3 months ago #20876 by Cookie
Just took a look at the THAM12 looks as if it could do the job B)

10 years 3 months ago #20877 by mini-mad
well, its all about where you want to cut your corners.

i have a void basys amp and mycro6s (not cheap...even 2nd hand!) and the tham12 was a flat pack with a 2nd hand driver... a PD12 something...

it comes down to how much you want to spend and how low you wana go (i mean bass frequcency).

a shippin container is gonna sound horrible on the ground the whole thing is a big metal box with walls that will ring. that aside, i would look into something like 12"+1" tops and a tham15 if you have space. the reason i say a tham15 is that my 12 is all fine and dandy but i would love a second which means another box ££ and another driver ££. if you had a single 15"driver in a larger box you could drive it with a single side of an amp ooooor a small ish amp bridged into the 8ohm load the single box requires.

back to cost cutting..... a single amp will run your tops one side and your bass the other, stereo is a little pointless in a shippin cont. dont you think?? then a simple crossover and you have a simple solution.

what would YOU like to do and how would YOU like to keep cost down?... and buying a cheap ass amp from ebay by Ekho/skytec/QTX is not a cost cutting solution either!!!

10 years 3 months ago #20878 by Cookie
hmm, i don't want to cut so many corners that its all just a massive waste of money, Okay to be more cost effective have a tham15 and a some 12"+1" tops, wait so were you saying about the cross over and a simple solution i did not understand, and the shipping container is covered with about a foot of mud would it still sound horrible ? either way i know some places to set up a little shin dig :P

Cheers again

10 years 3 months ago #20879 by mini-mad
simple solution.

if you picked up an amp that has about 800w/ch @8ohm and a 2way active crossover. you would run the tops (non-stereo) on the left channel and the tham15 on the right the active crossover will sit between the amp and mixer splitting the signal from the mixer so the bass wen to the tham and only the mid+ higher freq. went to the 12+1 tops. it would neatly sit on a small rack bearly 4U in hight. and depending with you bought a lightweight amp or not.... quite easy to carry around.

...in fact would take about 15mins to set up all in!

my basys amp weighs about 25Kgs so mine inst quite the light weight solution i'd like but it does a superb job!

and yes hopefully the "mud walls" should damp down the ringing niceyly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cookie

10 years 3 months ago #20880 by Cookie
Cheers man i really appreciate you taking the time, to show a noobie the start of the ropes, thank you for all the detail. I'll be sure to post a picture or two of the finished thing, nice one :)

10 years 3 months ago #20881 by mini-mad
iv got a pic of mine somewhere.... small party rig but does really well. in fact, tomorra i'll have a blast in the garden and take a picture or two for you (may garden prob about the size of a shippin cont.

..my mycro6 and only 6.5" drivers!

i suggested 12+1s as they will be more versitile to you in the long run. and if you ever want more bass just build a second tham15!!...or CUBO15 (to which i have 4 of in my big rig)

10 years 3 months ago #20882 by Cookie
Yes please doo man :D would love too see it!

Do you have a picture of your big rig too ?, what cabinets make up your rig ??

Again man cheers for the help :)