NOOB QUESTION

More
14 years 1 month ago #8032 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic NOOB QUESTION
While we're on the subject of slaves. I recall an announcement in an old '70's Beat Instrumental that I have. It was Pink Floyd saying that they had just ordered 9 WEM 100 watt slaves for their PA system. And that was big news.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #8034 by bee
Replied by bee on topic NOOB QUESTION
wow lol..... I may need to do an a/b test on one of the wem's i have against a new 100w amp and see if the old amps are the same in volume or louder..... just out of interest. Talking of pink floyd this is were my dad first heard this amp. He was very good friends with one of floyds sound engineers back in the day, he showed the amps to my dad and on this advice purchased 2, a year later he got another 3. I had never heard this story till mid week when he got talking to me about them. He purchased them from a shop in ealing (cant remember name) but it was well known back then. His system was 8 w-bins 4 mid tops and 4 tops. All made by august audio. The cabs were loaded with makenzie speakers in the early to mid 70's. He was still using this rig but with new amps till the early 90's.

More
14 years 1 month ago #8037 by tony.a.s.s.
I remember August gear. It wasn't around for long. The shop in Ealing could have Jim Marshall's shop. It was at the back of the shop where the first Marshall amp was developed.
The Watkins shop was in Garret lane South of the River.

More
14 years 1 month ago #8038 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic NOOB QUESTION

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: I remember August gear. It wasn't around for long. The shop in Ealing could have Jim Marshall's shop. It was at the back of the shop where the first Marshall amp was developed.
The Watkins shop was in Garret lane South of the River.

The Ealing shop had something to do with Simms Watts if I remember?
What about the WEM bloke? I remember buying one of his, "new high powered 12's" in the 80's, roll edge, low spl. This was somewhere over the east end I think?

More
14 years 1 month ago #8039 by tony.a.s.s.
Google the wem site. Read the History. I new Charlie in the old days. Bit of a character, still going now. The wem site is a must.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds