• hfisher22
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #7969 by hfisher22
NOOB QUESTION was created by hfisher22
right

what does a slave amp do??

thanks harry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #7971 by bee
Replied by bee on topic NOOB QUESTION
You dont rearly see slave amps much now, They used to be used in-between a mixer then your amp rack etc. On mixers back in the 70's and early 80's mixers didnt have built in pre amps. So a slave amp was used to boost output to amps. This is one way a slave amp was used. I remember my dad using them when i was just a boy.... lol He used at the time a set of bsm decks and mixer all in a flight case or coffin cases as they were called back then. The output went straight in to the slave amp, then into his amp rack, eq, crossovers etc. I still have his original setup in my lockup, proper old skool rig. Ill try and dig out the slave amp and take a pic for you.

• hfisher22
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #7978 by hfisher22
Replied by hfisher22 on topic NOOB QUESTION
wikid kool thanks

harry

More
14 years 1 month ago #7979 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic NOOB QUESTION
My Memory is slightly different. Whether it was WEM or HH which had PA amp tops, each has the possibility of adding power. One of the Bands I played in was HH powered. We had a 100 watt 5 channel amp and 10 130 watt slaves. Everything was mono, so you just plugged into the top amp with your mics and all the other slave amp inputs were daisy chained, which is no different to how you would use a large system today. For instance, If you have more than one bass amp, you would connect the inputs with the same signal. Older members will know that you could not flight case the HH amps, so they were just piled up on top of each other. looking very impressive of course with their green lights.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 1 month ago #7981 by bee
I do remember this way too Tony, I must of been about 8 years old when my dad run his big rig in this way (tony sheens road show) as he called it. I didnt rearly start to take a big interest in the hows and whys till my early teans and by this time technology was allready changing. I have a few of his original slave amps ill take some pics over the weekend and post up.

More
14 years 1 month ago #7988 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic NOOB QUESTION
It'll be good to see some pictures. These were the days when a 100 watts seemed massive. You would be amazed at how small the the systems were and how big the venues were, where they were used. In spite of the size of the rigs now, I'm not sure that people enjoy themselves any more now then they did back in the day.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 1 month ago #7989 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic NOOB QUESTION
My first< "big stuff" was a pair of 4560's with 15's and J105's on top. No crossover and the lot ran happily on 100w a side from a Thames 2.
Soul music coming out of the, "stacks" :lol: Good enough for 300 people every weekend

More
14 years 1 month ago #8000 by bee
went to lock up today amps not there.... phoned my dad he has rented them out to a period dram props company...... Poo, but he did tell me the make so googled it up and found this.....

He has 6 of them plus a master amp to feed them. Check out the original price!!!!!!

More
14 years 1 month ago #8001 by nickyburnell

• hfisher22
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #8022 by hfisher22
Replied by hfisher22 on topic NOOB QUESTION
wikid thanks allot guys

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds