file Fane Sovereign 12-500LF

13 years 9 months ago #8892 by djoilandwater
Fane Sovereign 12-500LF was created by djoilandwater
Hello all i want to have a go at building a 2X12 mid top box but want a easy design that i can use with out mitre joints so would not be a trapeze shape box but a square shaped one. also will need help with size and power of compression driver to go with 2 of these fane speakers which are 500watt rms. i am a mobile dj so the will be used for all kinds of music thanks all for help with this!!!

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #8898 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic Fane Sovereign 12-500LF
You say that this is a mid top box. Any ideas on what frequency you want to crossover to your subs?
Typically a simple mid top box would be a sealed enclosure.
I am a bit concerned about the choice of 2 x 12". The Fane specs for this driver suggest that it is OK up to 5KHz but it is likely to sound rough at a lot lower frequency than this. I have not tried one myself but I would be wary about crossing over at anything above 2 / 2.5KHz with a 12"
Crossing over at this sort of frequency, you are then looking at an expensive compression driver & horn to keep up with your 1KW of mids!
Have you concidered using 10" drivers that will have a higher crossover frequency? An efficient + 108db/W 1" compression driver can keep up with a pair of 10" mids.
Unless you want a lot of trouble and a poor performance you should also concider using a active crossover and bi-amping the cabinet.

13 years 9 months ago #8919 by dj oil and water
Replied by dj oil and water on topic Fane Sovereign 12-500LF
i have a some 15 inch fane sovereign 600w lfs i want to put in a bass box! i was bi amping running these up to about 150hz in a box then using the 12s as a mid perhps? one 12 then and a comp driver would that be better and is it ok to make any size box if it sealed then?
so i will have 2x15s in a box off one amp and then the 12s and a comp driver off another with a passive x-over in the box so on each side of my rig i should have 2x15s for bass and then a mid top arrangement of some sorts my amps run at 660 w rms at 4ohm i currently use some peavey pro 15s with separate peavey bass bins but they are only 300w rms so i thought i would have ago at building some more powerful speakers! that i can push harder and louder.
any ideas would be very gratefully received and plans on both would be good to
thanks for your help