The dirty dirty mid-bass sound

More
15 years 9 months ago #2738 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound

It seems nice and clean is winning.

But what about HD15? It's a front chamber design, and tests show a hump around 120Hz which suggests the front chamber is tuned "hot" (i.e. amplitude near resonance is higher than elsewhere). Consequently, I would expect a group delay peak (could be wrong).

Are the HD15 fans not voting here or do they not regard HD15 as dirty?

Remember, I'm not criticising dirty - but as a speaker designer one has to take into account end users' desire for euphonic artifacts.

odc04r wrote: Low mid is really important for house which is the basis of sound for me. Punchy aggressive and tight are the order(s) of the day.

"Punchy" and "tight" could describe a bass system with flat frequency response and no phase artifacts. But "aggressive" could be taken to mean a preferance for a dirtier sound.

How did you vote?

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3079 by cyklist
Replied by cyklist on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
am I missing something or is dirty bass just overdriven?
flappy cone over-excursion mabye?

I aint gettin on no plane

More
15 years 9 months ago #3096 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
It could be dirty due to resonance

Ars est celare artem

More
15 years 9 months ago #3099 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
IMO, speakers should always be clean so that they reproduce in a neutral and accurate way. If it has to be dirty or anything else, it should be obtained by processing.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• ginger_biscuit69
More
15 years 9 months ago #3107 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
i think regardless of music style, the system should be as 'studio' as possible. after all, your tracks are recorded on them, and thats how the artist designated it to sound. if you want harder bass, then find an artist who does what you want.

Most 'kick heavy dance rigs' as people may call them,dont sound too impressive to me, yes they are loud and thump, but dont sound all that hot.

If you get a chance to be around a large format professional touring PA, which isnt setup by monkeys, stick some of your favourite tunes through them and then see what you think. I guarantee it will be as loud and thumping as any other rig of the same size, but will also have the clarity and correct balance of the whole frequency range and sound incredible.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds