The dirty dirty mid-bass sound

More
15 years 9 months ago #2407 by jsg
The dirty dirty mid-bass sound was created by jsg
Someone either in this forum or another (can't remember) mentioned that bandpass horns have a dirty mid-bass sound. Something to do with the 120Hz resonance fighting with the frequency/time content of the recorded bass hit, maybe.

So the question is, how do you like your bass?

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2451 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
i dont think anyone wants the speakers to sound dirty if they did ther going about sound the wrong waybust on some compression etc and your away in that department its just one of the foybles of the design i guess

do it for the love of the music

More
15 years 9 months ago #2455 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
No bandpass horns here please..... They're like a flock of geese.. HONK HONK HONK! I can tell an FK1 bass bin a mile off!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #2478 by
Replied by on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
Different things for different people I think...

I like the sound of F1 / Turbo BPH bass cabs... they might make every bass hit sound the same.. but bloody hell it hits you hard.

It is true tho... I can tell a big stack of horns a mile off, a few years ago we had just arrived at the Glade festival, without even going near the marquee I commented tomy mate.. that is a big pile of bandpass horns... it's a very distintive sound, that might even be more pronounced when your further away (err maybe).

More
15 years 9 months ago #2482 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
I guess it's the difference between doing dance music (where the bass line is pretty similar between tracks anyway) and live music.

I just like my PA to sound like a big pair of studio monitors!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2484 by s.c.a
Replied by s.c.a on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
ahh, no honk with the usb.. not a musical cab mind.. so i suppose could be classed as dirty bass...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #2488 by
Replied by on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
I think there are clear devides really..

1. Pure P.A. - Live bands etc.. a true / flat response is required - akin to giant studio monitors.

2. Dance Stack - Dance music biased, will be an weighting in the 60 - 100hz area for pronounced kick, perhaps the mid may seem "stepped-back" when playing acoustic music (I have noticed this with many F1 setups actually).

3. Dub Reggae systems - Dub / reggae biased, will be a weightingin the 40-60 area for pronounced gut shaking, and don't forget those piezos!

I can appriciate and understand the merits of each.

Each system may well be able to cope with the needs of each genre, but will excel for the genre it was designed for.Edited by: Adambomb

More
15 years 9 months ago #2489 by toastyghost
Replied by toastyghost on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
I have to say that one of the most prominent comments I've heard from people who've listened to Stasys 8 and Stasys X is how musical they are for a folded horn cabinet.

I too think that the F218 is very honky when running full blast, and I think that's partially why the F221 is being pushed so hard over it now.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2490 by boycey
Replied by boycey on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
if the tunes are dirty enough why do you want dirty speakers too?

this

More
15 years 9 months ago #2514 by odc04r
Replied by odc04r on topic The dirty dirty mid-bass sound
Low mid is really important for house which is the basis of sound for me. Punchy aggressive and tight are the order(s) of the day.Edited by: odc04r

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds