Tapped Horn corrections needed ?!

• jdfwessels
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #22336 by jdfwessels
Replied by jdfwessels on topic Tapped Horn corrections needed ?!
Hi Bongo,

I'm not sure this is a good TH driver. Moving mass is low and it requires higher compression. If you would make S2 around 100 (now 189 in your simm) it runs almost 100dB without a dip in the WAE v1.
Looks the same, with the same SPL as the THAM12.

If you did not already buy this speaker, go look for B&C or the drivers Martinson used.

The B&C 12PS100 or 12TBX100 are very good for half the price.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22337 by Bongo
Replied by Bongo on topic Tapped Horn corrections needed ?!
I have the driver laying around allready.
Can I see your hornresp input for WAE?`Is the obne you call v1 the small WAE? I did sims for the big one.
I tried what you suggested, also smaller S2, gives a more flat response, but losses 5 db!

More
9 years 3 months ago #22481 by Bongo
Hi again.
Sorry I got away from updating you with my progress, had to move home & workshop on top of doing work...

Using the loudspeaker wizard I came up with a very nice simulation that we built!
Unfortuately I can't show you much from here, as the simulation must be on my other personal laptop & Sandra the carpenter still has the drawing, the design has an extra "leg" like the Tony Wilkes FTH12F

There seems to be some strange "flapping" sound, I don't know if there's airleaks around the screws, if it's due to the missing bracing (it was ordered, but the carpenter didn't have time for it!) or if the wave is reflecting back in to the horn as the driver is put back quite a bit. The reason for this is that bigger L12 & L34 sims better in hornresp.

Here's a pic, sims in a week, drawing in 2 weeks time.
It all went so fast & now I'm so slow showing u:-)
Attachments:

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #23061 by Bongo
Ok, here's an update!
I used the lf12n401 for other tapped kicks / midbasses, they work well in tapped horns adjusted to the specs.
The drivers are not much more expensive than 12tbx100 243 vs 216 euros, but they're neos!

NOW I want to build two tapped horns with FANE 12xb, it sims VERY WELL & has an XMAX of 10,5!

Usable response down to 40hz, excursion goes crazy below 35,5 hz (hits same as at 53hz)

For these tops:http://www.soundgear.co.uk/newwebsite/orbit4a.jpg
I want to extend the front plates so that the top can sink into it, as it is 60x35 cm, I'll make the internals 35,2x60,2

QUESTIONS:
The fane sims very well with the above hornresp input (page 3 www.freespeakerplans.com/forum/15-sub-ba...eeded?start=20#22330 )

EDIT: I suppose I can't get this hornresp input to fit in the deisng in any way because I probably made it up myself, so I guess I'll have to,
I get the WAE L23 to be: approx: 25+55+30+30+30 = 170 maximum?
This is nowhere near the 222 in my sim
Nice plan:

File Attachment:

File Name: WAE-THMini-v1-2.pdf
File Size:133 KB

The simulation says 112 litres, which is perfect for a box with internal dimensions of 35,2*60,2*61=129l
driver is minimum 7 litres & panels minimum another 10,, so internal volume is maximum 112 litres.

But I wonder if it takes another kind of folding to get the 222 cm L23?
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Bongo. Reason: Misunderstanding

More
8 years 4 months ago #23073 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic Tapped Horn corrections needed ?!
So I will talk about tapped horns got me thinking about building one myself as I already have what appears to be a good candidate in an 8 inch driver and I decided to give it a try I am still in the planning stages and I rely primarily on dead reckoning my primarily concern will size and standardization so I decided to go with what is standard here in the US 24 by 24 inches and a width of approximately 10 my rough calculations come out to about a horn length of 28 hz. Sorry I'm also considering of creating a removable speaker face that I may be able to try different compressions for the speaker another word and insert. I will continue to post on this one or start a new one ? As I don't want to hi Jack.

More
8 years 1 month ago #23241 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Tapped Horn corrections needed ?!
ive just built some 10" ones, including a plate amp module for it. Home hifi use.

More
7 years 5 months ago #23626 by Housexy
Replied by Housexy on topic Tapped Horn corrections needed ?!
Good day,

please can anyone help me. In 2013 I built a pair of THAM12's using 18mm ply. Unfortunately I cannot find the cutting list used. Please can anyone help me with the cutting list for the THAM12 & THAM15, but using 18mm ply.

The plans indicates 15mm ply but I am unable to get 15mm.

I want to build another set of THAM12 & a pair of THAM15's

any help will be highly appreciated

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds