seen a build like this before?

• crossed
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #15599 by crossed
seen a build like this before? was created by crossed
Well, I was looking at the plans for the Cubo and just really didn't know how to get started. I've built lots of car sub boxes, but those were always just, basically, cubes or simple trapezoid type shapes. Easy peasy. I really didn't want to waste an expensive piece of Birch, so eying a cheap piece of 1/4" plywood I decided I should do a trial run first. THEN, as I was finagling the wood out of a stack I noticed a piece of sheet rock that's been sitting there taking up precious garage space since I worked on my house last year. I thought to myself, "Why waste a piece of 1/4" plywood when I can waste a cheap piece of sheet rock I want to get rid of anyway??"

Well here it is, my awesome sheet rock sub cab:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crossed
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #15600 by crossed
Replied by crossed on topic seen a build like this before?
I actually do have a couple questions about the build. I came out with two extra pieces and I'm not sure where they were supposed to go. They can be seen in the third picture. I ended up cutting them to fit along the sides of the horn mouth as can be seen in the fourth picture. Is that what those pieces were for, and if so, why weren't they listed in the cutsheet as the right size? I know it's highly likely I just messed something up.

Also, I will be building the Cubo 15 out of 3/4" birch. I don't think that is exactly the size wood called for in the plans, but in the US that's what I have to work with. Will I have any trouble with my wood being slightly different size? Do I need to account for that in my cuts, or should my cuts still come out fine?

More
12 years 5 months ago #15601 by saul
Replied by saul on topic seen a build like this before?
your plaster board box will last approximately 1 mins and 08 secs with power applied i should imagine...

More
12 years 5 months ago #15602 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic seen a build like this before?
This could be history in the making. I would be inclined to finnish it with wall paper.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 5 months ago #15603 by saul
Replied by saul on topic seen a build like this before?
i was thinking just some gypsum skim would be nice. then paint it magnolia

• crossed
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #15604 by crossed
A buddy came over last night and asked me what I was going to do with it. I said just toss it in the garbage after I build the cab for real... and he wants it. He says he is going to cover the inside and out with fiberglass and try it out :shock:

Personally, I would rather just buy a $40 piece of birch and do it right than spend $50 in fiberglass resin and take a chance.

Anyways, my favorite part of this site is looking at builds. I wanted to post one of my own, even if it is a bit silly. smiley4

• crossed
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #15605 by crossed

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: This could be history in the making. I would be inclined to finnish it with wall paper.

By the way, I'll have to check around, I may actually have some wall paper laying somewhere!

• crossed
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #15606 by crossed

saul wrote: your plaster board box will last approximately 1 mins and 08 secs with power applied i should imagine...

You know, I really should try it out. Mud the cracks to seal it up and then actually load it and see what happens. We could take bets with an over and under on how long it lasts. I can take some video and put it up.

More
12 years 5 months ago #15607 by bee
Replied by bee on topic seen a build like this before?
now that would be real funny, go on i guess, 2 minutes 30 seconds...... lol

More
12 years 5 months ago #15610 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic seen a build like this before?

I actually do have a couple questions about the build. I came out with two extra pieces and I'm not sure where they were supposed to go.

One of those pieces is supposed to go onto the top panel, as a bracing in Cubo Standard. As you have build Cubo Extended that part can be discarded (or still be used) as the extra horn panel also reinforces the bracing and thus the top panel.

The other one can be cut in two pieces that can go, evenly spaced (like 1/3th and 2/3th) as bracing against the front panel.

Also, I will be building the Cubo 15 out of 3/4" birch. I don't think that is exactly the size wood called for in the plans, but in the US that's what I have to work with. Will I have any trouble with my wood being slightly different size?

You would survive the ordeal, as well would the cabinet. However there are also Imperial plans available for Cubo 15, send after an e-mail to questionsaboutcubo at gmail dot com

I would be inclined to finnish it with wall paper.

+ 1

I've heard from good source that different wall papers have different effects on the performance (some make it play louder, whereas others make it play lower). Except 70's wall paper, that would just be silly.

Best regards

Cubo

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds