how to make a test measurement of a spea

More
9 years 4 months ago #22415 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic to rta or not to rta.....
If i did that you and bee would have carried on doing it all wrong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #22418 by bee
Replied by bee on topic to rta or not to rta.....
@ reality sound please read my last post.... this thread is more about rta measuring a cab, not a stack.... for a stack I too have all ways measured at chest height, center of were I want the optimal sound to be.

In regards to measuring a single cab, centre of speaker with mic on the floor is correct, I have all ways done it this way but at 1m not 2m as pointed out....

this thread is about teaching and learning....

Both mykey and rog, are far more experienced, than myself, and there advice is greatly welcome.

More
9 years 4 months ago #22419 by Reality Sound
Replied by Reality Sound on topic to rta or not to rta.....
I realize that. Then why does Tony measure a single bass cab at head level? and why would one measure from the floor was my question?

More
9 years 4 months ago #22420 by mykey-
Because he never knew how to?

Sorry if i came across as RUDE again. It's just that I thought you would have had a better explanation

Rog noticed straight away that bee made a mistake, then he changed his mind and couldn't care less, and that would have been because bee called rog, Roger :lol:

More
9 years 4 months ago #22421 by mykey-
I called him Roger to his face once and was almost TANGOED lol

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #22424 by bee

More
9 years 4 months ago #22429 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic to rta or not to rta.....
I get pissed off as Roger is not my name and the only person that used to call me that was shortman. I think he did that as not to personally associate or attach with me. A bit like in silence of the lambs where the victims in the pit are called it. Its been quite useful though, as I know if someone calls me roger they have been talking to shortman and believing the bullshit he went around saying about me. That also tells me they are gullible and to steer clear of them.

Another problem bee is how you are measuring the voltage to the driver. An accurate way to do it is to replace the speaker with an 8 ohm resistor, then measure 2.83V into that. A 4 ohm resistor can be used with 2.00V for a 4 ohm speaker. Get a speakon socket and solder an 8 ohm resister across pins 1- and 1+, then use it at the end of the cable that gets plugged into the speaker you are going to test.

If you are going to use a DVM that is not true RMS then use 100Hz, as this is commonly used as a reference in this type of meter. For RMS meters that can be set to read at different frequencies, use 100Hz, the adjustable settings are always 100Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz..

This thread should really be called, how to make a test measurement of a speaker. The term RTA is only really associated with system setup and EQing and monitoring the systems behavior during a show.

@ reality sound. Just cause someones been doing it for many years doesn't mean they were doing it correctly. To be honest it doesn't really matter, as long as you always did it the same way then your comparisons will be accurate. But if you need a definitive reference then only the correct way will do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bee

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #22432 by bee

More
9 years 4 months ago #22434 by Reality Sound
Replied by Reality Sound on topic to rta or not to rta.....
[quote=

@ reality sound. Just cause someones been doing it for many years doesn't mean they were doing it correctly. To be honest it doesn't really matter, as long as you always did it the same way then your comparisons will be accurate. But if you need a definitive reference then only the correct way will do.[/quote]

Thanks. that's all I was after.

• heathrow_b_line
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 4 months ago #22464 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic how to make a test measurement of a spea
can someone clear up how the mic is positioned/placed?

bass bin laying on the ground

mic 2m away laying on the ground pointing at the speaker

or

mic 2m away on a mic stand as close to the ground as possible pointing at the speaker

or

mic 2m away laying on the ground pointing at the ground

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds