Learning to design speakers

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #21378 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Learning to design speakers
Okay sounds good, but would the port length be better at 7cm at 60hz or 12cm at 50hz. Also the port length is how far the port stretches back right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #21383 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Learning to design speakers
It really depends on the driver. If the diver is incapable of producing 50hz without overexcursion, then it would be a waste. If the frequency response is declining rapidly and then there is a tiny shelf at 50 hz that is down 10dB from the peak around 100 or so, that would not be all that useful either. If you are using a sub that easily covers up to 100hz, it would not be particularly helpful to have the low mids tuned so low. Remember that you also often lose sensitivity in trying to get a lower tuning.

On the other hand, if you are going for something that might be able to do full range without a sub, I would aim for a design and driver combo that can do a useful 40hz.

I can't really give you a straight answer. It is down to what your driver can do, and what you want.

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #21386 by dnb123
Thanks man, na I just want pure mid, but tbh my drivers aren't that great so I don't think that my bin can be tuned to that range of frequencies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #21430 by dnb123
he again, tying to design a mid ported enclosure, i think ive done most of it right, but i was wandering if things like L port, or kerfed sides would effect the sound, and if so, is it worth doing?

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22112 by dnb123
Hi again, I'm trying to incorporate a phase plug into one of my designs, any tips on how to? And what I should try to accomplish?

More
9 years 6 months ago #22130 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic Learning to design speakers
Your running before you can walk.

Many great song writers began by playing covers (learning other people songs) first. This taught them structure, timing and what chord progressions work.

Maybe look at some DIY designs and put their properties into a couple of different design programs, WinISD, Hornresp etc, then play around to see how changes effect the performance. Your learn a lot from this if you are new at it.

Rog.

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22135 by dnb123
Replied by dnb123 on topic Re:Re: Learning to design speakers
This is the top I designed and now I would like to put the rcf phase plug in it but not at random, would like to get a simulation first
Attachments:

More
9 years 6 months ago #22160 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re:Re: Learning to design speakers
agreed with roger hear, your looking to put a round peg in a square hole..... Pointless trying to phase bung a square / rectangle throat....
Ive been playing with phase bung design for close to 4 years, there is no quick way to do it, and to get it right means a lot of prototypes and a healthy chunk of money....

my current prototype with bung......
[IMG

[IMG

and the plot......
[IMG

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22162 by dnb123
Right, but I don't understand why people on here can't just help, instead of telling me I'm wasting my time or 'I'm running before I can walk' I'm simply asking for help because I don't know these things. Again. I want to put a phase plug in this design, preferably the rcf 10 plug, so if I have to I'll make the horn round. I know it will take a while but it will take fucking for ever if people just tell me It's hard

• dnb123
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
9 years 6 months ago #22163 by dnb123
Or I'll just design an square plug

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds