folded horn midtop

• tamuks
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #20004 by tamuks
folded horn midtop was created by tamuks
does anyone on here have a plan for a folded mid horn plan for midtops similar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20008 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re: folded horn midtop
what frquancy range was you hoping for...... most midtops have a straight horn due to the shorter wave lengths needed........

More
10 years 11 months ago #20012 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Re: folded horn midtop
One thing I would add here, and this is from personal experience, The path length can be interrupted with a simple fold as long as the throat area is smaller than the highest wavelength at the x/o point. I did this with my MT502's and 602's where the speakers were at right angles to the mouth of the Horn. The success of this will be dependent on what horn you have above, because in these cabs, I couldn't go any higher than 1.2k out of the mid.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
10 years 6 months ago #20708 by cagedANIMAL
Replied by cagedANIMAL on topic folded horn midtop
I am pretty new to all this, but the only folded horn designs i have seen for tops are the bill fitzmaurice DR series. they are rear-loaded horns, and use a spliced peizo array, or cd horn hi's, depending on the model. billfitzmaurice.com/DR280.html not what i would concider an easy build, but charts are very admirable.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #20715 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic folded horn midtop

The path length can be interrupted with a simple fold as long as the throat area is smaller than the highest wavelength at the x/o point

Could you eleborate on this? I mean are you talking about the width or height of the throat, the diameter of the driver circular cut out, the diameter of the square/ circle that has the same area as the throat (in case of a rectangular throat)?

@cagedANIMAL: I'm pretty sure they're front loaded horns ;)

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Cubo15.

More
10 years 6 months ago #20716 by cagedANIMAL
Replied by cagedANIMAL on topic folded horn midtop
the omni's and jacks are front firing. the DR'S actually have the driver firing to the rear, much like and elaborate "w" bin, with rounded deflector panels in the back. neat design, but i wouldn't have the woodworking chops to pull them off, i fear.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #20717 by bee
Replied by bee on topic folded horn midtop

Cubo15 wrote:

The path length can be interrupted with a simple fold as long as the throat area is smaller than the highest wavelength at the x/o point

Could you eleborate on this? I mean are you talking about the width or height of the throat, the diameter of the driver circular cut out, the diameter of the square/ circle that has the same area as the throat (in case of a rectangular throat)?

@cagedANIMAL: I'm pretty sure they're front loaded horns ;)

Best regards

Cubo

like this cubo,

[IMG

there are a few designs that use this type of loading like the martin philishaves, Its a 2x12 with a 1.4 comp... the 12's were good up to 1.2k.... any frequencys shorter than the driver to main horn throat cancel each other out...
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by bee.

More
10 years 6 months ago #20725 by Cubo15
@cagedANIMAL: Orignally rear loaded horns had the rear of the driver loading the horn, with the front directly radiating (like a scoop). Whilst front loaded horns had the front of the driver loading the horn and the rear enclosed by a chamber (like a W-bin). I guess those names kinda stuck around. The actual driver orientation inside the cabinet is not adressed, so a rear loaded horn with the front of the driver firing into the horn and the rear of the driver directly radiating is still a rear loaded horn. And a 30 degrees to the South-East loaded driver is still just a front or rear loaded horn (or tapped, or hybrid, or band pass, etc. but front and rear are still the main entities).

@Bee: Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to read it in about 10 day's though because on this computer (browser IE8) I can't see past the reply button ;)

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: cagedANIMAL

More
10 years 6 months ago #20726 by Cubo15
In fact just after posting this it changed to not beyond the quick reply button.

More
10 years 6 months ago #20728 by Cubo15
And now I can see the quote button but I have no idea who I'm talking to, this is getting silly.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds