file Comuniity sound

15 years 9 months ago #984 by JS
Comuniity sound was created by JS
Does anyone know where I can purchase Community Sound compression drivers? I'm interested in the M4, M200 and VHF100 (depending on how much they cost!).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #985 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Comuniity sound
try the UK distributor:

www.cuk-audio.com/index.html

15 years 9 months ago #1013 by marios
Replied by marios on topic Comuniity sound
you might have a bit of trouble getting them from there. iirc opus audio used to use those drivers so maybe try them - otherwise you're prob best off emailing Dave Lowe at community (us) - you can order drivers directly from the factory. as far as i know the community uk is only really able to sell whatever is on their pricelist (i.e branded cabs) because they are just a distributor really.

15 years 9 months ago #1053 by csg
Replied by csg on topic Comuniity sound
cuk should be able to get the m4 in- i buy from them from time to time, and can ask if you want. otherwise, ask thomann for a quote, they are one of the biggest community dealers in europe, and their retail prices are often cheaper than the trade prices i get from cuk???

15 years 9 months ago #1381 by JS
Replied by JS on topic Comuniity sound
Thomann quote 1620 euros each for a Community M4, any idea where I can get a secondhand pair?

15 years 9 months ago #1408 by csg
bit of a rare beast in the uk, so 2nd hand will be difficult.

is there a particular reason you are set on this unit? for certain applications such as large format long throw outdoor public address systems they come into their own, but for general indoor use smaller horn loaded systems using 8/10/12" drivers on the mid and 1/1.4" on the high will be more than enough and will generally sound more pleasant close up.

apologies if im telling you things you know already, but the reason drivers like the m4 are rare is because they have only select applications.

15 years 9 months ago #1428 by JS
I'm looking for a mid range compression driver that will go down to 200 Hz in a tractrix horn for hi-fi use.

15 years 9 months ago #1432 by csg
fair enough, that is indeed a specalist application.

Is there a particular reason why you are looking at a compression driver - you may get better results from a high sensitivity driver from Lowther of Fostex. I suspect that the community driver, designed as it is for extremly high output use, will exibit higher distortion than other drivers designed for low power use.

Although the community m4 looks extremely impressive on paper, you may end up dissapointed with the results. I own a very large format electrovoice mh4020 stadium horn system ( hence my familiarity with these types of devices) which i use for very long throw public address applications, 100 - 20,000hz

these horns, while serving their purpose extremely well would not be useable for hifi use. whilst im sure that the tractrix horn you are looking at would be far less resonant than these ( fibreglass), it holds that what goes in , comes out. the compression drivers on the ev horns, within their operating range, exibit lower thd figures than the m4.

so, i would strongly recommend the consideration of other options before spending large sum of money.

15 years 9 months ago #1480 by JS
Does anyone know what drivers are used in Avantgarde horns?

15 years 9 months ago #1629 by opus jody
Replied by opus jody on topic Comuniity sound
the M4 supposedly goes down to 300Hz i believe, but we don't run them lower than 400Hz.

opus pocus