What to do What to do..

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #676 by
What to do What to do.. was created by
So, as some of you are aware I built my sound system over last summer... it's now complete, but I'm wieghing up some options.

At the last SP bass test we blew another 2 of my C18 650EL drivers, so I'm left with a number of options :
1. Recone the C18 650ELs.. Price : £120 for the recone kits.
2. Sell the 2 working C18 650ELs and the chassies for reconing and buy PD1850s
3. Sell the X1s and live without them (12HDs seam to go fairly low.. but I can't always use all 12).
4. Sell the X1s / Drivers and build / buy something better.

Any opinions? what would you do if you had my setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #680 by bee
Replied by bee on topic What to do What to do..
PD1850's do sound sweet! and if you recone the c18 650el they will be prone to blow again. Out with the old and in with the new pd's or even the v18-1000. the v18-1000 are prone to blow more in the x1's!. So i would go for the pd1850's. But if you go for the new build instead of your x1's it could be fun . Maybe a new design lower and louder than the x1's now that a challenge.

More
15 years 10 months ago #682 by super-hero
Replied by super-hero on topic What to do What to do..
Maybe you just need more X1's.

I\'m not an animal. I\'m a human being.

www.phase-audio.co.uk

More
15 years 10 months ago #687 by markie
Replied by markie on topic What to do What to do..
Since you said "another 2 C18 650ELs" I assume you have blown some before? So for whatever reason they are not up to the job.

PD1850s may be the way to go but to be honest I worry about PD (and Fane)these days. It seems that the home market comes pretty low down on their priority list.

I tend to think in terms of B&C these days. They are top quality drivers, Proel keepvery good stock levels of both drivers and re-cone kits, and they are available at excellent prices.

I'm not sure if there is a B&C model suitable for the X1 but that might influence your decision to re-design or not. Just a thought.Edited by: markie

More
15 years 10 months ago #711 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic What to do What to do..
Well, since Markie brought the subject up, there are suitable B&C's. Now according to a few quick simulations, all of the 4" VC 18" sub drivers that B&C do will work in the X1. I would recommend either the PXB100 or TBX100. The 18Sound 18LW1400 simulates well too, very flat response. Shame we couldn't try it in your X1's, maybe I'll have to build a pair!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #717 by
Replied by on topic What to do What to do..
Thanks for your thoughts gents..

I will mull it over... I'm thinking I will probably go 1850.. they did sound dramatically better / heavier... it's all money tho.

More
15 years 10 months ago #776 by danger noise
Replied by danger noise on topic What to do What to do..
really wish id been able to bring the wicked ones down to the sub shootout...still reckon they would work really well under hd15's...

More
15 years 10 months ago #778 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic What to do What to do..
don't forget the SD15 project too.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #779 by
Replied by on topic What to do What to do..
Would love to hear them!

I'm also considering designing something new... or maybe even Hogs... All I want is 30hz - 70hz in large amounts... maybe a different bandpass design could excel in this region... but horns would be nice!

More
15 years 10 months ago #938 by tb_mike
Replied by tb_mike on topic What to do What to do..

Adambomb wrote: Would love to hear them!
<div></div>
<div>I'm also considering designing something new... or maybe even Hogs... All I want is 30hz - 70hz in large amounts... maybe a different bandpass design could excel in this region... but horns would be nice!</div>

If your going for small stack id go BP6 - but If you want maximum SPL,and huge total volume,id go hog/labhorn depending on what your running above 100hz.

Eg I wouldnt use 1 labhorn or 8 BP6 - unless I had a specific reason.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds