As there is no moderator section, do you think we should use the following rules [lifted from an old forum of mine], or make our own?
This set of rules has worked well on other forums but we can always add more sections if required.
Registration to this forum is free, but we do insist that you abide by the terms and conditions detailed below, so please take the time to read these rules for the Prosoundworld ("PSWD") Forums in order to make your stay as pleasant and constructive as possible.
You agree to these terms, when you check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button upon your registration to the PSWD Forums.
These rules may be changed without notice. However, an announcement will normally be made in the forums.
1. Respect the etiquette of the Site: Get to know your way around the Site and how it is laid out before you post. It is strongly recommended that any new member posts a thread in the Newbies Forum as his or her first post as a way of introducing themselves to the other members of the forum.
2. Try to keep on Topic: Threads on forums inevitably deviate from time to time – it is the nature of ‘conversations’. However, please try to stay within the scope of a thread: questions or comments which deviate substantially may be moved, locked or simply be deleted.
3. Please keep any images uploaded to the forum to a reasonable size: ie please ensure that the whole of the picture can be seen on the screen without the necessity to scroll. Larger pictures are difficult to view by members and take up system resources, and may be removed without warning.
4. Please do not cross-post in different forums: Post your message once to the appropriate forum and nowhere else.
5. Don't use all capital letters in your posts: Using capital letters is the forum equivalent of shouting at your fellow members!
6. Do not reply to your own post within a short time complaining that no-one has replied. Please remember that it may take some time for a member who can help you with your question / problem to visit the forums.
7. Try to be specific in any questions you ask: Asking "what's best" can only get subjective replies. Everyone has their own view about what's best! Explain what you want, what you want to use it for, what your budget may be, etc and the help and advice you receive is likely to be more beneficial.
8. We strongly suggest that you do not post personal information such as your domestic address, etc on the forum. Obviously, whether or not you disclose such information to another member privately is your choice, but please bear in mind that we have no way of knowing if any member is who they claim to be, so please bear this in mind.
9. Read up before asking! There are many guides and FAQs etc on this Site. In addition, please make use of the search function before posting questions. Your question may have already been answered.
10. Signatures: You can set up a signature to appear at the end of every post you make via the User CP tab. Signatures may not contain more than 3 lines of standard-sized text, plus a brief description of the towns/counties/areas you cover. Signatures may contain up to 2 links. You may alternatively add a 60 pixel high banner but this will count as 2 of your 3 permitted lines of standard-sized text. You may not add a link in your signature to a site that is similar to this.
11. Multiple registrations are prohibited and are grounds for immediate account deletion. If you have a grievance with the Site or any of the forum members, please email the Site Admin.
12. Insults, personal comments, abuse, harassment and threats will not be tolerated: This applies equally to messages posted on the forums and to messages sent privately between members - either via the Site’s Private Messaging (PM) system or by email. Whilst we encourage debate between members and constructive criticism to help another member is usually acceptable, getting ‘personal’ is not acceptable. Be nice to each other and respect the decisions of the administrators and moderators (“Admins” and “Mods”). If you have a problem with another member, please refrain from retaliating and refer the matter to a Mod or Admin via PM. In the event of a serious breach of this rule (to be judged at the sole discretion of the Mods and Admins) the offending member may be banned from further participation in the forums. Furthermore, depending on the content of any abusive messages sent either privately or posted on the forums, we reserve the right to treat such as an un-authorized intrusion to the Site’s server and to report such to the relevant authorities for investigation in accordance with the UK Computer Misuse Act 1990 and its extension of 2000 (and any further or future amendment or addition thereto). We also reserve the right to start any other legal proceedings against such offending member at any time and without any further Cease & Desist notifications, and/ or (as appropriate) to inform any other relevant authority in this or any other country (depending on the origin of the offending member) for further investigations.
13. Any posts that are made to damage the reputation of this Site or any of its members will result in sanctions against the offending member.
14. Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed (Except in the circumstances listed below): This includes using the forum email and PM system to spam other members as well as posts on the forums. Spamming & Trolling are not permitted under any circumstances whatsoever, and advertising is only allowed in specific limited circumstances. If you wish to advertise product(s)/service(s) to forum members and others, please advertise in the services offered section.
Exceptions to the ban on advertising are as follows:-
a. You may reply to a question raised by another forum member, with a link to a third-party site with which you have no connection.
b. You may reply to another member if they have asked about a specific product that you supply.
c. You may also post a link to an external site in your signature provided it is not or likely to be deemed offensive to others.
d. In exceptional circumstances and with the prior permission of the Mods & Admins. Such exceptional circumstances will be judged on a case by case basis and the decision whether or not to allow such exceptional circumstance advertising shall be made at the discretion of the Mods and Admin and such decision shall be final.
Any posts made in contravention of the above will be subject to removal and the Admin and Mods reserve the right to sanction the member concerned if deemed necessary.
15. You may not post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral without the express permission of the Site Admin.
16. Please refrain from using profanities or bad language. Please remember this Site is accessible to all age groups without restriction, so be mindful that children may be reading. There is a censor built into the forum which filters out most bad language and profanities, but please do not try to get around this by adding different characters or spaces into the word, or by providing some of the letters and filling in the rest with your own asterisks. Instead, kindly do not use such language in the first place.
17. No warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content please! Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form will not be tolerated.
18. No posts shall be made containing instructional information or promoting piracy, hacking, or any other activity deemed illegal by law.
19. Posts relating to the following subjects are not permitted (whether in writing or image-related): Drugs, sex, pornography, excessive violence and other related or similar topics are prohibited. PSWD strives to maintain a family-friendly atmosphere.
20. Political discussion not directly related to Disco & karaoke issues are prohibited, as are religious debates.
21. No derogatory remarks based on ethnicity, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation or any other social aspect of a person's background will be permitted, whether directed personally at another member or generic comments made regarding any particular group.
22. Members shall not be permitted to link to other sites in their posts which include content deemed unsuitable, including the matters referred to in the preceding 6 paragraphs.
23. All communication should be in the English language and text language should not be used.
24. Do not publish confidential information.
25. You expressly acknowledge and agree that: Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of this Site is done at your own risk and that you will be solely responsible for any direct or indirect resulting damage to your computer system or loss of data.
26. The PSWDaccepts no responsibility for and loss, damage or other detrimental effect suffered by any person as a result of that person following the advice or a suggestion given by any member of this Site.
27. Instructions by the Moderators and Administrators must be followed.
28. Disclosure of information: The PSWD is keen to enforce laws and third party rights. Therefore we will (and you authorise us to) disclose any personal information we may have gathered about you as we (at our sole discretion) believe necessary or appropriate in the event of our receiving a request under Section 29 (3) of the Data Protection Act 1998 (or any subsequent amendment thereto or future enactment) in respect of any activity that may expose us or you to legal liability.
29. Registrant Disclaimer: Although the Admins and Mods of the PSWD Forums will take all reasonable steps to keep all messages of an objectionable nature off these forums, it is impossible for the Admins and Mods to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the PSWD Forums may be held responsible for the content of any message.
30. Rules Infraction Policy: In order to enforce these forum rules, upon violation of this agreement PSWD reserves the right to take any action deemed reasonable without further warning, including actions not listed in this document.
31. Conclusion: By agreeing to the rules of the forum upon registration, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise in violation of any laws, or in any way in breach of any of the forum rules posted from time to time on this Site including (but not limited to) those shown above.
The owners, administrators and moderators of the Mobile Disco Directory Forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread or post for any reason, and (if deemed necessary) to sanction any member following a breach of these rules.
hi heathrow. Don't get me wrong im not trying to rock the
boat already but is this a piss take?
a. You may reply to a question raised by another forum member, with a link to a
third-party site with which you have no connection</span>.
d. In exceptional circumstances</span> and with the
prior permission of the Mods & Admins</span>. Such
exceptional circumstances will be judged on a case by case basis and the
decision whether or not to allow such exceptional circumstance advertising
shall be made at the discretion of the Mods and Admin</span>
and such decision shall be final.
15. You may not post any affiliate or referral links</span>,
or post anything asking for a referral without the express permission of the
The advertising seems unclear - I thought this was the basis for the change - I
don't want to be spammed with sky****ic sh*te but I also don't really see what
you are trying to achieve - what is meant by "You
may not post any affiliate or referral links"</span>
How the hell is this site any more free than SP if there are rules governing advertising and the system in place is open
to corruption in exactly the same ways as before. The Mods and Admins
discretion.... hmmmmm??? sound familiar. I really hope you get a balanced mod
group, would it not be best to allow any long serving SP member to be on the mod
list - if not ALL past members are mod peeps as a rule??? this is the only true
fair way to run this new "free" community?
Don't get me wrong I think this is a reaction of sorts to a situation brought
about by totalitarian action BUT it is important to question things -
especially the small print in every situation... Nothing here seems much
different other than you are now in charge...