How long will this forum last

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #492 by
I was just wondering how long this forum will actually last.

I see it is running on a Fasthost reseller account using mySQL as the database, this makes setting up the forum for Adam very cheap.

However, Fasthosts will shut down this site without warning as soon as the database gets to around 50MB in size (around 30,000 posts), and will claim resource over usage and tell Adam to use a dedicated server for the web site. I've seen this happen to many forums on Fasthosts servers.

When this happens what will happen with this new forum? Will Adam be happy keeping it going if there is a £200 bill for a dedicated server each month?

There is allot more to setting up and running a popular forum than grabbing a free forum and placing it on a shared hosting reseller account, and I'm not sure this has all been thought through.

Edited by: arrow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #494 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic How long will this forum last
Yes, we are discussing this ATM, and a switch from webwiz to phphbb too.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #496 by
Replied by on topic How long will this forum last
Well Linux hosting would be cheaper, but I wouldn't say PhpBB is better than Web Wiz Forums.

There's far to many security holes in PhpBB and it gets tons of spam.

More
15 years 10 months ago #497 by wrighty
Replied by wrighty on topic How long will this forum last
Many hosting package databases are limited in size. My 1and1 ones are 100MB which probably wouldn't take long to fill with all the posts and PMs.

More
15 years 10 months ago #498 by mskeete
Replied by mskeete on topic How long will this forum last
www.brinkster.com/
I have yet to come accross anyone to beat them on price and features " www.brinkster.com

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #499 by
There is always limits with DB's even those that claim 'unlimited' have these fair use policies which means they kick you when the DB gest to around 100MB.

This is why most larger forums, like I guess spekerplans.com, are on dedicated or co-located servers so they don't have these database limits. But as soon as you start going into dedicated servers and co-location you start having to payout big bucks each month.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #501 by
1&1, Brinkster, you guys really know how to pick the worse hosts in the business, next you'll be saying GoDaddy is a good host as well!

More
15 years 10 months ago #502 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic How long will this forum last
mediatemple all the way !

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #503 by

arrow wrote: I was just wondering how long this forum will actually last.

As long as we have active members this forum will stay up, no matter the cost (which ain't as much as implied actually!).

arrow wrote: I see it is running on a Fasthost reseller account using mySQL as the database, this makes setting up the forum for Adam very cheap.

YUP.. total setup cost around £5 so far (for the domain)... this is just a starting point (as it seams the most regular members of SP are pissed off enough to migrate over here, which I'm actually suprised but encouraged by).

I'm willing to invest money to keep SP or FSP running in some form... SP was my favorite site on the net, just keeps pulling me back, I'm a member of a fair number of forums but for some reason I just cannot get enough of SP (or now FSP).

The fasthosts account was used as a quick, cheap and easy way to get the site running (in less than 24 hours I might add!)... I have a few dedicated servers I can choose to use for this... not a problem.

arrow wrote: When this happens what will happen with this new forum? Will Adam be happy keeping it going if there is a £200 bill for a dedicated server each month?

HAHA... £200 a month.. get real, more like £200 a year.. which I am willing to pay, or hopefully as a completely independentcommunity members will be willing to donate a small amount for the cause.. many have already offered.

arrow wrote: There is allot more to setting up and running a popular forum than grabbing a free forum and placing it on a shared hosting reseller account, and I'm not sure this has all been thought through.

Hmm... you could say the same thing about the old site really couoldn't you.

Peace,
A.

More
15 years 10 months ago #507 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic How long will this forum last
SD15 (see sub bass forum) will be licensed the same way as Rog's designs - and any money received goes to running costs of this forum.

Ars est celare artem

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds