Martin lighting spares

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4582 by bee
Martin lighting spares was created by bee
Not sure where to post this!!!!! Two of my martin ego 2's have developed a fault where the colour wheels no longer work. Ive check the motors and both are ok. I think the fault is with the pcb board, any ideas!!! do any of you now where i can purchase new pcb boards from as i think this is where the fault is .(cheeply)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4589 by bee

More
15 years 7 months ago #4591 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Martin lighting spares
Let me know if you find out.... got two Ego 1's with PCB problems!

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4608 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Martin lighting spares
Chaudio from what i now all the pcb boards for the ego 1, 2 and 3 are all the same. All i have been told so far is, it is cheaper to buy a second hand unit and use it as spares!!!. Great help not!. The problems with both my units are as follows, The units work fine but the colour wheel does not. no other issue with the units. I have found the problem i think! see photos below.

pic 1 pcb board.

pic 2 closeup of area with fault

Pic 3 shows the output channels to the fan and motion 1 and 2. Motion 1 is for the colour wheel. Motion 2 is for the mirror wheel.

I have tested the recisters circled in red, they have no power going through them, i think they could be blown. The recisters below motion 2 output have power going through them.
Do you think this could be the issue!!!! Does anybody now if this can be fixed!! and how hard is it to fix.

Regards
Ben

More
15 years 7 months ago #4630 by djgorey
Replied by djgorey on topic Martin lighting spares
Morning,

I might be able to help with this. I have 3 (one currently on long-term loan so long I can't remember what it looks like) Ego 1s, all of which have had this problem (one is currently in the garage waiting to be fixed).

I asked the shop what the problem was and got "ooh, PCB's gone £150 to fix that". I passed the light to myfriend who is an electronics/software engineer who had a look at it, replaced the stepper motor (£5 from CPC) and that fixed it.

My lights had the same symptoms - current/no current in weird places and it was just down to the stepper motor so I hope that helps.

You only need two tools in this world - Gaffa Tape and WD40!

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4639 by bee
djgorey ive checked the stepper motors by swapping them in the working units i have, and all work fine. Any other ideas!. The current/no current on the pcb board is the same as mine though.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4647 by djgorey
Replied by djgorey on topic Martin lighting spares
My friend (Steve) is away on holiday at the moment, but as soon as I can ,I will get him to have a look at my dodgy light and let me know what the problem is. It maybe that, if he can fix it, he might (for some small consideration) be prepared to fix yours as well. I'm sorry I can't sort it sooner, but I'll talk to Steve as soon as he gets back.
I'm sure it will be cheaper than a new PCB and I don't know about you, but I'm much better at buying lights than I am at soldiering them!

p.s. Aren't the Martin Egos just the best lights of their kind out there?! You can keep your Abstract, Constella and the rest! I love mine

You only need two tools in this world - Gaffa Tape and WD40!

More
15 years 7 months ago #4655 by super-hero
Replied by super-hero on topic Martin lighting spares
Bee, have you tried the motor from the faulty light in a good one.

Have a look on the back of the pcb for dry solder joints.

I\'m not an animal. I\'m a human being.

www.phase-audio.co.uk

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4658 by bee
yes they are very good indeed, no dry solder and yes the motors work fine on another board. why is it so easy to buy but not fix its so unfair! lol

More
15 years 7 months ago #4683 by norty303
Replied by norty303 on topic Martin lighting spares
The ego curse.......

Yep PCB's are silly money, second hand complete lights come cheaper. I have an 03 which has become a doner light as a result of the stupid spares prices....

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds