Recessing Handles

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4297 by nickyburnell
Recessing Handles was created by nickyburnell
Save me trying out lots, which is the best router bit for recessing bar handles? Never bothered before but time to try it.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4298 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Recessing Handles
Having spent some time fitting recessed bar handles, here's what I think is the quickest process. Ideally if you're doing more than a couple of handles you need two routers set up at once, one with a large (eg 18mm bit for the recessing) and a normal 9mm bit for cutting the hole. You need to make two router templates obviously, one for the recessing with the large bit and one for the cut-out with the smaller bit.

Mark out the centres of the handles then do the recess part first. You'll probably need to do a bit of freehand work inside the template to make it wide enough but obviously no need to do the whole area!

Then change templates and do the cutout. If you don't have one, this is where a pin gun comes in very handy for tacking templates to the cabs. Move onto next handle.

Sorry if I've told you how to suck eggs but thought it would be useful for other readers too.

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 7 months ago #4300 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Recessing Handles
Thanks, got pin gun. The info I needed way which bits? The 9mm and 18mm, are these straight cut? Don't understand the terminology for router bits...any guides..?
Thanks

More
15 years 7 months ago #4301 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Recessing Handles
Yup, you just need straight cutting bits, nothing fancy. Don't know if there is any special terminology other than straight!

More
15 years 7 months ago #4303 by wrighty
Replied by wrighty on topic Recessing Handles
Some of them are designed for plunge cutting and thus have cutting faces on the end too, which make plunge cutting easier.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4311 by dom
Replied by dom on topic Recessing Handles
Personally I find the best bet for the odd handle or two is a template bit. They're like a trimming bit but have a bearing at the top rather than the bottom.
Position the handle on the cab face down. Butt some strips of ply up to the sides of the handle on all four sides and fasten down with either double sided tape or pins. Remove the handle, which will leave an ad-hoc template that's exactly the same size as the handles.

Then run the template bit round the inside of the ply, it will cut out a rebate the exact shape of the handle. Then you just remove the middle either with a router ora jigsaw...

Far quicker than making a template...

These go to eleven...

More
15 years 7 months ago #4312 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Recessing Handles
Hi nicky
Have a look at the link below, step by step photo guide.
www.freespeakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=185

Hope this helps.

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds