file Benefits of a small chamber...

15 years 10 months ago #383 by boycey
Benefits of a small chamber... was created by boycey
...in a mid horn?

i'm designing a cabinet for my limmer 042 to sit in and am referring to their p3 project for rough sizing. according to my estimation the internal volume of 042 chamber is ~26L. i'm considering fitting a tubular piece made of circular layers of ply with a neoprene seal to sit on the rear panel and form a small as possible chamber for the ciare 6" driver. the horn with driver would sit in the baffle and the rear of the cone flange would locate on the neoprene ring iyswim? [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

what are the benefits of the small sealed chambers/back bowls? iirc it's to do with low end response?

all help appreciated [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

this

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 10 months ago #462 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Benefits of a small chamber...
I only ever consider small chambers for mid speakers. Keeping them with a small amount of air seems to keep them fast and punchy. In the past When developing the Reflekta MX900 I placed the ten in a chamber that was part of the box shape. The speaker sounded ok. but of course ok isn't good enough. I then enclosed the speaker in a tight box within the cab, and the speaker just came to life. That was a practical lesson I learnt.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

15 years 10 months ago #463 by bee

15 years 10 months ago #521 by boycey
Replied by boycey on topic Benefits of a small chamber...
thanks for the reply tony[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

reckon i'll go ahead with it then.

this

15 years 10 months ago #645 by tb_mike
Replied by tb_mike on topic Benefits of a small chamber...
A small ie 'tight' air volume decreases excursion below cutoff. It does the same job on a labhorn as it does on a midhorn - just at a frequency 10x higher.

Edgar refers to reactance annulling in the edgar basshorn files on volvotreter.de downloads

Edited by: tb_mike