Skytec, Soundlab, IMG

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3580 by nickyburnell
Skytec, Soundlab, IMG was created by nickyburnell
Lots of this stuff in places, gotta be honest, nowadays it doesn't sound too bad for winebar type venues...
What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3581 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
Problem is that anyone who gets involved with this class of gear is feeding the monster. When people find it hard to sell their well thought out designs and cabs, this will be one of the reasons.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3585 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
Totally agree, got another thread going though

Any other thoughts? Maybe you actually have some of this and use it?

More
15 years 8 months ago #3594 by josh
Replied by josh on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
they are what they are, they sound pretty poor and if your not critical of sound then you might say they sound fine but what you must remeber is that everything that is cheap, is cheap for a reason, turn up the volume or start putting them through a bit of work and they will die.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3596 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
If we're talking about the same scale here, I often see older hifi speakers simply stuck on stands and pointed at the people. There's a lot of variety in tiny random places, case study:
There are two record shops in a street. One shop uses Yamaha NS1000s, and the other uses chinese line arrays mounted in the same way the wrong way up (vertical MTM lol).

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3603 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
Update on this. I just opened up a pair of very small Skytek 15" 300w MAX bins. Inside I found a chipboard cab, actually quite well made with some bracing I wouldn't have expected. The speaker was as I expected a pessed steel, 2" coil pile of poo. What struck me (I was retro fitting some better drivers) was that all eight solder joints cam off with one tug! ALL 8 were dry but still contacting. Bloody terrible. Edited by: nickyburnell

More
15 years 8 months ago #3607 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
Sometime ago when I was located next to Adam Hall in Southend, They brought me in an early LD 1x15 plus horn cab to test. To get started, I used a graphic to try and flatten the response. +/- 15 wasn't enough to do it. One of the biggest problems was the screechy top end. Can you imagine that someone must have passed
that as OK.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 8 months ago #3608 by noiseboy
Replied by noiseboy on topic Skytec, Soundlab, IMG
Yes Tony is right, the trouble with buying this stuff is most of it is poorly thought out and simply not built to last. I have pair of Soundlab cabs......God they are dreadful! I never use them for anything! The only reason I keep them?.... Occasionally when teenagers want something for a house party,doesn't matter if they happen to get trashed (always a risk with teenagers) in fact they'd be doing the world a favour!
I'm sure one day these kids are going to to tentatively bring back my cabs totally f!cked, in fear of their lives, only to find I'll pat them on the back saying WELL DONE! WELL DONE! let me buy you all a beer!
Needless to say, they never get to borrow the F15's!

Chris

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds