SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #3453 by markie
SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS. was created by markie
I know a few of you guys are guitarists and I wondered if any of you have experience with the new Sound City amps, in particular the 20 watter (SC20C or something like that).

Although I've been playing for years 99% of my playing has been electro acoustic straight thru a PA. These new fangled Telecasters are a bit modern for me.

Anyone any comments as to the quality??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3456 by rockin..
Replied by rockin.. on topic SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.
Never used one but found a review on the net

www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_a...k_6_sc20c/index.html

More
15 years 8 months ago #3458 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.
Good find Rockin. Markie, there's loads of good little amps on the market. I'm thinking of a fender tweed Blues deville for my lap steel. Just under £500.00. Are you thinking of getting an amp. If so , what's the budget( if I may be so bold).

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #3459 by markie
Replied by markie on topic SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.
I've got an ancient Session Rockette 30 watt, (apparently E.C. used a couple of these on his AUGUST album). I replaced the speaker with a 12" VOLT dedicated guitar speaker and it suits me fine. BUT everyone raves about valves for guitar and Those SC20Cs are only a bit over £200.00. The other one that appeals is the Orange "Tiny Terror".

There is something special aboutthe tone of a small valve amp going absolutely FULL TILT. I'm getting too old for anything above 30 watts.

• strapping young stu
More
15 years 8 months ago #3460 by strapping young stu
Replied by strapping young stu on topic SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.
How much do you want to spend, the best sounding guitar amps I have heard have come from Budda

Heard both the 2x12 Superdrive and the Superdrive head (not sure which one) through a mesa 4x12, both have their merits but if you want something for recording and general work I would probably look at the Budda Superdrive 1x12

The 2x12 30 watter, is enough to EASILY keep up with 6kW of PA so the 1x12 ought to do you just right, listen to the sound samples on the site if that can give you any idea?

Better than any Mesa IMO, just a more balanced low end, not quite as metal as a Triple Rectifier or a Peavey 5150 but still very ballsy if you want that, and obviously can get plenty of decent other tones out of it as you can hear from the samples, just generally full and very balanced, no real harsh areas or midrange gainyness that you get from a lot of other amp manufacturers (Marshall and Fender....)

StuEdited by: Strapping Young Stu

Power = Versatility x Intelligence

More
15 years 8 months ago #3465 by rockin..
I tried the Orange Tiny Terror at a local music shop recently. In a bid to lessen size and weight fomr the van i traded in my white Marshall 50w Anniversary half stack. It sounded awesome turnedup but was a bit of a nightmare for the size of venues we play.

The Tiny Terror almost got my vote. It sounded so big for a small valve amp. I thought miking that up would sound real good at a live gig and small enough for the house. They sound very authentic to my ears, dont think they have split channel which was the down side for me and was the deciding factor for me not to buy.

If you get one, let us know how youget on with it

More
15 years 8 months ago #3466 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.
Markie, whatever small amp you end up with, make sure it's a valve one, including the pre-amp side. Keep it plain and simple. It's sods law. having sold all my amps a while ago, I now need to go and buy another one, but at least there's some good ones to choose between.
I remember the Session amps. They became very popular in their day.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 8 months ago #3544 by tallmike
Replied by tallmike on topic SOUND CITY GUITAR AMPS.
You can't go wrong with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe....
the Tiny Terror impressed me as well though, for a mini amp! Not powerful enough for slightly larger gigs IMO..

Mike Bamber
Live Sound Hire
Surrey Audio Visual

More
15 years 8 months ago #3545 by rockin..
Talking about the Fender hotrod deluxe, i had the pleasure of using one for a couple of weeks whilst my boogie was being fixed. It sounded great turned up on both channels too. Forgot about that one

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds