More
15 years 8 months ago #3451 by jonny4288
Wiring it all up properly was created by jonny4288
Lo all,

just to double check on things...

Lets say i had the following setup

4 HD15's with 600w drivers in them
1 X1 with 800w driver
mid/top - no idea yet not though about it.

going to power them by matrix amps, would need a couple or so id imagine.
( stores.ebay.co.uk/amps-4u ) <-- those amps

this will all be hooked up to a dj mixer with 2 phono output, master and record.

Which then made me think, what is the best way of hooking this all together, im assuming using active crossovers to split the signal?

Bit clueless really, wanting to be put on the right track.

-edit-
forgot that some cabs have those link ports too, might things easier Edited by: jonny4288

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3470 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic Wiring it all up properly
Jonny, welcome to the forum. From the above it seems you're going four-way with your system. A lot of the cheaper xovers will do the job, but I would recommend you go for a behringer dcx2496, or similar. Not only will it give you your crossover points, but will help to match delays between the various equipment you propose to use. It will provide limiting so you can give some form of protection to the drivers when using the cheaper amps as well. It is more expensive than the simple xovers, but it will be an invaluable tool to get your sound right. It will also be usefulif you move up to bigger systems. It's an extra £50 or so that you wish you had spent in the first place!. The next few suggestions are made with the lowest budget in mind. You will no doubt get some other views on the subject, but the only criteria I am considering iscost,
The HD15,s can be run from a single amp if absolutely necessary.
When run in parallel, you would need at least 1300 to 1400 watts into4 ohmsper channel.
The cheaper amps will tend to start popping due to clipping when run at 4 ohms fully driven, but then, this is where your DCX will come into its' own by using the limiters to prevent the clips.
The X1 could be driven with one amp in bridgedmode into 8 ohms.Most of the cheaperamps should be able to deliver this.
The mid- tops will need at least one amp (depending on number and power of drivers).
Say two twelves in parallel at 4 ohms, and two one inch compression drivers on small flares in parallel. You would probably need at least 400-500 watts per channel into 4 ohms for this to keep up with the HD15's. The compression drivers do not need this amount of power, just keep the volume down!. Wiring is made simpler because you can sum up to three inputs on the dcx and split it into six output channels. Your stack as described above would then be in mono. I have assumed thatthere is only one stack!.
The HD15's have link sockets on the back, so you will be able to run the link cable from one cab into the next. You will have to check that they're wired correctly for this.
Hope this answers some ofyour questions.What have you got in mind for themid tops?.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3471 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Wiring it all up properly
If that is a 600WRMS driver, remember to try to select an amp that can do a bit more than that (see the program power rating).

Amps won't be a problem since you're using the highly regarded Matrix built by Andy on this forum as you know.

I agree with simon about the rest of the setup, and here's one of my shopping lists for a mono rig involving that.
1x DCX2496
1x 31band graphic EQ for quick reference,
1x Matrix STR3000 or 2x XP1500/UKP1300 for the HDs.
1x Matrix XP1500/UKP1300 for the X1.
Cables for the lot.

Then we can wire it all up.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• jonny4288
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #3488 by jonny4288
Replied by jonny4288 on topic Wiring it all up properly
Thanks, i am a much clearer with that now :)
yes they will be600wrms (kappa lf15 emminence)

picking up 4hd15's next weekend.

noidea on the mid topsyet. i have 2 here which i really would not like to use, but if im desperate could be used temporarliry i guess. some carslbro 200w rms each cabs,there only good for monitering really.

it would be mono yes, but eventually when funds allow maknig a mirror image stack. Then when more funds allow, another x1 per side, and another 2 hd15's per stack. which would then be very similar to adambombs rig, think it looks to be a great combination.

but to begin with 4 hd15's then mid tops, then an x1.

Jonny

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds