More
15 years 8 months ago #3437 by nickyburnell
Which cab was created by nickyburnell
Got 4 x Emminence Omega Pro's.

They will be used up to 120 ish hz.

So 2 x G Sub (equed a bit)
or
4x B&C Sub.

Size, weight, usefullness of smaller cabs not an issue.

A single 15" RCF and 1" is going on top, pole up if need be.

I know there will be a frequencyhole between cabs, just going to eq it.

Used for general House, not Reggae

Ta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3438 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Which cab
Reflex cab will be fine. Stick it in winisd/bassbox to calculate port length.

there shouldn't be a hole in between 18s, 15s and 1s, really.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3443 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Which cab
Thanks. The hole thing:

Dont know what you think but in the 18 to 15 or even 18 to 12 scenario it ALWAYS sounds better to me if the x over is up around 150 to 200. Putting the kick up in the 15, off the floor sounds worse. I've checked this with a lot of non tech punters over time and they always agree. Even up to a powerful 2 x 15 I really dont like taking the kick off the floor.
Example in question was the EV T18, designed to x over at 250 to a 10" (in their 1810 version), always sonded nice to me, and no matter what people say about them they are still a very popular cab. Pulling the x over down to 80 or so takes all the energy away.
What do you think????

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3450 by nickyburnell
I wrote the question badly. I should have said is a single 18 x 4 preferable to two 2 x 18's.
I of course realise the cabs I quoted would be tuned wrongly.
So opinions, sound only, which do you prefer?
Ta

More
15 years 8 months ago #3452 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic Which cab
Hi Nickey, I've been doing a lot of work recently with reflex subs, and I have found that there is not a huge difference in sound either way for equivalent volumes and porting. Inmy final version,with two single cabinets,against one dual cabinet of double the volume and port area, with portstuned to the same frequency, the singles pair are actually slightly louder overall, anda bit tighter on the kick frequencies.
I'm not sure how good the omegaswill sound if you try to take them above 120hz though, might lack a bit of BL to get some clean punchy kick out of them. Have you tried them yet?. If so, how do they sound?.I'd like to get some idea forfor comparison.
Good luck!.

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3455 by nickyburnell
I,ve had the omegas in CVA bins before. These I believe are tuned to 50 or 55ish with a PD1850. God knows what the tuning was like with the wrong driver but they sounded nice to me crossed over at 180 to some 12's. Crossed over low, ie 100 there was plenty of sub but the volume as a whole went down and all the energy disappeared. As I said I personally like the cab thats on the floor to do the kick as well. In a perfect world there would be a kick bin but when there isn't I would prefer the bass cab to do it rather than the (usually very high off the ground) mid top. If you hang a, "Bassbin" up you lose bass, the room doesn't vibrate, same goes for kick. Give it a try, move your xover freq up.
Of couse I could have bad ears but I have asked many people what they think whilst sweeping the xover point and nearly all liked the 180 ish point. Interestingly the only one I can remember that didn't was a sound engineer!!
Also, I like T18's and T18's recomended xover point is 250

More
15 years 8 months ago #3461 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic Which cab
Nicky, I agree with what you are saying, I was just wondering if the omegas would give youa good,clearresponse in the upper frequencies.I just took a quick look at the response for a pair in a 240 litre cabinet, ported with 600 square cm port, tuned to 45hz. Well over the 130db mark from 50 hz upwards,and 650 watts per driver. (This is the point where xmax is theoretically reached). I was only playing with a few figures, so you should be able to fine tune a really goodcabinet with them, so long as you're happy with the 50hz cut-off. The power handling drops dramatically when tuning any lower, so if you want to go lower, you'll have to compromise on spl. As I said earlier, the 1x18 cabs I made up sound really tight and punchy for kick, but the drivershave a bl of 23.5, which is why I waswondering how good the omegas would be.If you are happy with the sound they produce, then so much the better. I decided on single cabs, not because they are substantially better, but that they were an easy one man lift. Handy if you do get stuck on your own!. The plus side for duals is that there is a saving on materials to make the same volume cabinets, and less work overall. I'll look forward to hearing what you decide to do, as I presume you'll make up your own?. Happy Building

More
15 years 8 months ago #3464 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Which cab
simon, you're right on that 1x18s are a much easier lift. But there is a reason why 218s are used, and I'll let Jay explain this for me:

it's the concept of a 2x cab over using two singles. the low end is
extended or enhanced because of the pair of drivers working together
within the same air space where as two single use two different air
space zones and have an extremely unnoticable delay difference between
one another due to having to link the cabs together instead of just
having two drivers in parallel to one another in the same cab with the
same length of cable wiring *not enough to hear a delay difference, but
enough to throw off the amplitude gain*. also, there is added
resistance in air movement using two singles where as the twin would
have much less resistance with it's larger shared vent.

However, this may be partially remedied using delay, or if you are really cool, physical delay.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3482 by nickyburnell
Right, thatk you all, Deadbeat the answer is in your quote for me. As Simonr said the50hz thing is the trade off which may be helped by the 2x18 cab.
Once agian, many thanks

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds