One for Tony ASS

• ajw
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #3256 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic One for Tony ASS
Sam, its been an ongoing discussion in SOS for years. One of their reviewers has a thing about IB boxes and always raves about them when he gets a chance.

If you can point me in the direction of a "Great" recording where the use of IB monitors have obviously contributed to the finished result then I would love to hear it.

I can however supply you with a long list of great recordings that have used so called technically deficient monitors in their making.

NS10's just became a standard due to word of mouth and familiarity. It does not stop it being in my opinion a poor excuse for a monitor speaker, but it probably reflected what the recordings where going to be listened to in a domestic environment.

However the NS1000 (drools) now that was a speaker.

Tony

Edited by: AJW

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3266 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic One for Tony ASS
This was my last attempt at a studio monitor. My next move is to get a 2x12 bass cab underneath so it can be used for Hi Fi.

[img

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 9 months ago #3268 by riddimkid
Replied by riddimkid on topic One for Tony ASS
Very interesting read, learned a few things here!

• ajw
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #3269 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic One for Tony ASS

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: This was my last attempt at a studio monitor. My next move is to get a 2x12 bass cab underneath so it can be used for Hi Fi.

Tony That looks like the latest Revalator tweeter + Volt Mid + Don't Know, (Volt 8"?) How do you find the tweeter I have read mixed reviews?

Tony

p.s. have a look at the BMS driver L12S330 might be of some use to you.
Edited by: AJW

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

More
15 years 9 months ago #3270 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic One for Tony ASS
We need a forum section called Tonies Hi-Fi Corner!

Here's a driver question you might be able to help with. At some point I will get round to a having a go at some hifi/studio monitors. I got a bit click happy on Bluearan after a gig and ordered a pair each of the Beyma mids and highs. (1.75" soft dome, 1" plastic dome). They're really cheap (under £100 for the lot). Now, all I need is something to go underneath. The midrange is more of a HF unit really because they recommend a crossover above 800Hz. It's a lot like the EV S200 HF drivers, which incidentally I also have a couple of to do something with, one day!

I'm thinking an 8" or maybe even 10" if one will go up to 800Hz. Ideally want to be reaching 40Hz in a large enough reflex cab. The mids and highs are fairly budget so I'm not looking to spend too much. Any suggestions? Been looking at something by Monacor maybe?

More
15 years 9 months ago #3272 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic One for Tony ASS
yeah, a Hifi corner would be great, probably have more in it than 'car audio'.

Beyma mid-highs? If you're adventurous, try mounting them to conical waveguides (as they approximate a point source reasonably well, but not really as the dome doesn't expand when moving up and down)....not as good as comps on other guides but sound good nonetheless, though it would get big, making a studio monitor a challenge, I'm rambling.

For the more practical suggestion of a bass end for your monitor, Monacor are quite good. BK electronics also have a few other drivers around and active modules. Wilmslow audio also stock Morel, Peerless and Vifa all of which are good value, and will do well in studio monitors (they also do seas, volt, atc, fostex, but that's getting out of price range).

Don't forget to make them as heavy as possible (exotic woods, etc) and look flash! and the gold connections and spikes [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img].

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 9 months ago #3274 by tony.a.s.s.
Chris I am only in a position to comment on a couple of items because that's all I've used in the past. The Volt is the one at the moment. Not only is it a great driver ( the 8 or the 10) but I also get to consult with David the designer who I've know since the late '70's. It's important to get his imput when doing these kind of things.
A driver that I did use some years back on a Hi Fi project was the Dynaudio 10"s, I had them flat at 30HZ, 2 in a very big cab. The guy liked sucking the bass out of the grooves. The mid and top were also Dynaudio.
I'm sure there are cheaper speakers that will satisfy your needs.
I've done a pair of speakers that still contain the Volt, but has a Vifa soft dome mid and a tweeter that seems to have a similar diaphragm to the revelator but a fraction of the price. The secret with these cabs will always be the X\O. This is the item I have spent most time on during the development of the range.
One thing I discovered whilst going into various homes to demo, and that was where people have got inexpensive speakers, they can never be pushed hard. If pushed the sound goes mushy and the dynamics alter greatly. This will also happen when cheap parts are used for the X\O. By the time my X\O is made. With parts and labour, it has a value of around £200.00. If I tried to do a lesser component, I wouldn't feel as confident about the performance, but that's just me.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3275 by tony.a.s.s.
Regarding Beyma. They have been doing HI FI bits for years. The closest I got to them was making the Promo stands for them for the shows along with the car audio stuff they did.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3276 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic One for Tony ASS
Thanks for the input.

I've been looking at this Monacor driver as an option. I'll have to revisit Wilmslows site and see what they've got in a sensible price range. Probably get better prices on the Monacor drivers tho.

Regarding crossovers, mine are made of basically the same components as yours Tony (ASS). Inductors are wound by either you, or Markie did my last batch and the capacitors come from the same place. I haven't started using the thick film resistors yet, still using 50W aluminium clad wirewounds.

The Beyma MC115 midrange seems to go pretty much all the way up on it's own so the HF will probably only need to do 8kHz upwards although I'd experiment with crossover point.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3281 by toastyghost
Replied by toastyghost on topic One for Tony ASS
Tony, whilst we're on the subject of your hi-fi bits, I remember some postings about your soundproofing technique for your demo room but haven't been able to find them over on the other forum.

Could you maybe do a bit of a re-cap, perhaps in another thread? I'm in the unfortunate position of living in a house which has some very noise-sensitive, early-to-bed people next door. Their bedroom backs onto mine, and apart from getting the chimney cavity filled in with sand or something I want to show that I'm doing something to limit the amount of noise they can hear in case they get onto the council which happened with previous tenants over conversations they could hear from the kitchen late at night!

From the pics I've seen, your wall pad pieces look quite nice and would assumable be easy to remove if I were to move house in the future, so it's something I'm very interested in.

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds