Mixing horn types

More
15 years 9 months ago #3126 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Mixing horn types
How could I forget. B and C do 2 drivers that start from 400hz. one is a coax full range and the other is a single diaphragm going to 10khz. Obviously. I haven't tried them.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3143 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic Mixing horn types
BMS have2-inch compsrated down to 300Hz. But if you read the specs carefully, you see their peak power tests are done with a higher cutoff frequency. This gives the game away somewhat.

In all these units,running thembelow 500Hz is for home hi-fi use only where you expect distortion above a few watts. Above 500Hz you may be OK but it depends on the driver, the horn and the application (and perhaps personal taste).

According to my calculations, a 30% efficient 2-inch compression driver will be moving air 10mm peak-peakat the throat with130 watts at 300Hz. If the horn flare isn't loading the driver properly (and 300Hz requires a big horn) it could be up to 20mm. The diaphragm will move less than the throat due to the compression ratio but that's still enough to ensure serious non-linearity. And maybe catastrophically accelerated diapragm fatigue as Tony mentioned earlier.
Edited by: jsg

Ars est celare artem

More
15 years 9 months ago #3144 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Mixing horn types
From what I can figure out, those new B&C units are a bit like the big Community drivers. It's actually more like a small cone midrange with a complex phase plug than what we normally think of as a HF compression driver.

I'd love to try them but I'm sure you'll be able to confirm Tony that they cost a small fortune.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #3156 by
Replied by on topic Mixing horn types
Could anyone please confirm that a tractrix horn with a 52cm diameter, 33cm depth would have a cut off frequency of 500 Hz and a tractrix horn with diameter of 72cm and a depth of 68 cm would have a cutoff frequency of 250 Hz?

More
15 years 9 months ago #3157 by tony.a.s.s.
The DCX50 is 556.43 and the DCM50 is 494.91 subject to the usual deal.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3160 by jazomir
Replied by jazomir on topic Mixing horn types
Just interested - just how good are the VQ systems? I saw them on Tannoy's web site, and couldn't believe the specs - then I saw that these were were independently confirmed, so they must be pretty good. Was thinking of a neat (reasonably) portable system along the lines of VQs over Void Stasys Xs

Regards,
Jazomir

More
15 years 9 months ago #3271 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Mixing horn types
I reckon the Stasys 3s that go over the Xs are about as big as the Tannoys (they're massive, the two tiny driver under there are 12"), might as well get them if you're leaning that way.

Still, they're very nice cabs I have to say.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 9 months ago #3277 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Mixing horn types
Tony, just to be clear, are those prices you posted, before or after the usual deal has been applied?

More
15 years 9 months ago #3294 by tony.a.s.s.
Those prices are the list price. Before discount.

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds