Batteries for Wirelss mics

• jazomir
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #2778 by jazomir
Batteries for Wirelss mics was created by jazomir
Just doing a school musical using 6 x Sennheiser Series100G2 lapel mics/bodypacks & receivers, and have had a chance to compare battery life using different brands of AA batteries. Normally I use LIDL AAs - use them for a single show (or 2 x 4hr rehearsals) then ditch them - advantage is they are cheap as chips. Even at the end of 2 x 4 hour rehearsals never had one go flat on me. At beginning of rehearsals this year, I got hold of some Kodak batteries and they are equally as good as the LIDL ones and I got them even cheaper (£2 for 12) with several months shelf life left on them. Then, I was forced to use Panasonic (I didn't have time to search for my usual) at 4 for £1- after one show plus warm up (2 hrs total) I was suprised to find battery indicator was showing between 1/2 & 1/3 battery life used, so couldn't even risk another show or rehearsal with them.
So, next time it's back to LIDL or Kodak - far superior products and far cheaper.

Regards,
Jazomir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jack the nutt hulley
More
15 years 9 months ago #2788 by jack the nutt hulley
Replied by jack the nutt hulley on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
Duracell Procell for anything that matters and needs to run for ages like wireless mics.

• jazomir
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #2794 by jazomir
Replied by jazomir on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
For real mission critical situations - for instance in a 3 or 4 hour show - yes I agree, Duracell are the safest bet. I can't remember what the expected lifespan of batteries in the Sennheisers is supposed to be but seem to remember 7 hours (non continuous use) being mentioned). However, for short shows (1 or 2 hours) or rehearsals, I can't really see the point of paying out for Duracells when others (LIDL Aerocell Alkaline cells, for example) last the duration at a quarter of the price. For one show I did a couple of years ago, I think we spent 50 or 60 pounds on Duracell AA cells for rehearsals and shows over a 10 day period which is a huge overhead.

Regards,
Jazomir

More
15 years 9 months ago #2795 by csg
Replied by csg on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
duacell procells come out at £11 inc vat for a box of 10 9v pp3, the aa's are a lot cheaper than that. not much of an expense really, but if the kodak batteries are cheaper than that, then fair enough

More
15 years 9 months ago #2800 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
Keep an eye on CPC's special offers... There are very often some great deals on batteries such as BOGOF's on Procells!

Another tip is to buy an LED torch that takes AA batteries. They'll run for hours on part-used radio-mic batteries!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2812 by subsoniks
Replied by subsoniks on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
IIRC the duracell PP3 is slightly bigger than the kodaks and can jam in some American kit ie the nady radio mics, but then again who the hell would want to use those?

More
15 years 9 months ago #2828 by jonminns
Replied by jonminns on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
Rechargeables anyone?

More
15 years 9 months ago #2871 by carl
Replied by carl on topic Batteries for Wirelss mics
Rechargables are usually no option for two reasons:
1) they are only 1,2Volts opposed to 1,5 for the non rechagables.
2) normal batteries slowly loose their voltage when they are being used, rachargablesgo fromalmost full toempty in a very short time.

There are rechargers for alkaline batteries, you are supposed to be able to recharge them about 25~50 times, and you recharge them whenever you have the chance.

The expression ”fool proof” applies only to a limited number of fools.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds